Saison brett recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WI_Wino

Reaction score
NOTE - not a Boulevard clone attempt

About to order up some of the Wyeast 3031-PC Saison-Brett Blend. Here's what I put together. Looking for a (fairly) simple recipe to let the yeast shine. What do people think about the glacier addition? I'm thinking a little citrus would be nice but definitely want it in the background.

Saison Brett - Saison
========================
Batch Size: 6.000 gal
Boil Size: 7.500 gal
Boil Time: 90.000 min
Efficiency: 75%
OG: 1.064
FG: 1.006 (this is a guess...)
ABV: 7.6%
Bitterness: 25.5 IBUs (Tinseth)
Color: 4.8 SRM (Morey)

Fermentables
========================
Pilsen Malt 8.000 lb
Corn, Flaked Grain 2.000 lb
White Wheat Malt Grain 4.000 lb
Aromatic Malt Grain 8.000 oz

Hops
========================
Name Alpha Amount Use Time Form IBU
Hallertau 4.5% 1.500 oz Boil 60.000 min Pellet 17.1
Saaz (USA) 3.8% 1.000 oz Boil 10.000 min Pellet 3.4
Glacier 5.5% 1.000 oz Boil 10.000 min Pellet 5.0

Yeast - Wyeast - PC Saison-Brett Blend

Mash - 152 F

Hi there!

I've been brewing a beer similar to saison-brett. Here in KC we have access to saison brett once a year and competition for the bottles can be kind of stiff, but when I was in StL this last weekend I noticed some bottles on the shelf (2 mo after release), so maybe you can find some up by you. I mention it only because I use the dregs from 2 bottles every year for their bugs.

For my base recipe I actually use the all-grain Lawnmower de Saison kit from Midwest Brewing as it makes a beer very similar (if not a clone) of Tank 7 from Boulevard. Then I add some extra to the grain bill to get me closer to 8.5% abv.

Grain Bill for 5.5 gal:
7# pilsner (2-row)
6# white wheat malt
3/4# caramel/crystal 20L
1/2# torrified wheat
1# clear candi sugar.

Mash @ 150 degrees for 90 min, my brewhouse efficiency is around 80% with slow batch sparging (168 degrees sparge water).

Hops:
1 oz Saaz - 60min
1 oz BC goldings - 30 min
0.25 tsp grains of paradise - 15 min
0.5 oz coriander (crushed) - 15min
1 oz bitter orange peal - 15 min
1 oz BC goldings 5 min
1 oz EKG dry hop - 3 days (right before bottling)

For fermentation I actually prefer Wyeast 3463 Forbidden Fruit but I can't always find it. It's a little spicier but that fades over the course of a year. Used Wyeast 3724 Belgian Saison in this last batch. I cO-pitch dregs from 2 bottles of Saison-brett as well. 4 weeks in fermentation, then rack for 2 weeks to secondary, dry hop and then bottle. Age in bottles at least 9 months - 1 year.

I should mention I use dregs from the year before (2014 for this year's batch) since 1 year aging is really ideal for Saison Brett. Hence, why I double up and pitch with the Sacch, they need the easy sugars to get off the ground.

Hope that helps!

If you're looking to see what flavors the yeast creates, I would sub more pilsner for the aromatic. I'd also forgo the corn, but that's personal preference

I've been drinking this for several months now. Notes say OG was 1.064 and FG ended at 1.006.

Pours a hazy golden with white head that dissipates halfway through drinking. Has classic saison yeast flavors with an Orval flavor in there. I think the flaked corn helped dry it out w/o any corn flavors. Well received by the few others that have drank it. I would not hesitate to brew this again.

I've been drinking this for several months now. Notes say OG was 1.064 and FG ended at 1.006.

Pours a hazy golden with white head that dissipates halfway through drinking. Has classic saison yeast flavors with an Orval flavor in there. I think the flaked corn helped dry it out w/o any corn flavors. Well received by the few others that have drank it. I would not hesitate to brew this again.

Sounds excellent. I'm bottling my first attempt with WY3031 this weekend. At first glance the tartness overwhelms the spicier phenolics, but it doesn't seem out of step with style -- just more funk than some of the tamer commercial ones.

Outside of substitution of the indexed yeast for WY3031, my recipe was as follows:

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/...ed-homebrew-brett-pedio-sour-beer-recipe.html

Back