Doh! Added a bit to many fermentables

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BluBruShack

Reaction score
Just as I said above I added a bit to many fermentables into my batch. I just plugged everything in and came out with an ABV of around 10.7%

Heres the recipe
Yields 1 Gallon
1# Light DME
1# 3 oz Dextrose (left overs from Mr Beer Experience)
Spec Grain Steeped 20min at 155
2oz Choc Malt
2oz Caramel 60L
2oz Cara-pils

Hops 1 oz dry leaf Cascade 60 min(home grown)

Yeast
Safale S-04 Dry Yeast

Kind of a hodge podge of ingredients here just cleaning out my pantry from old recipes. So here the problem. It was about 3 am and I had a few to many to drink while adding dextrose added 3 oz to many raising the ABV a bit more than I intended. Safale does not tolerate above 10% from what I read. Im looking for expierence with taking yeast above thier alcohol tolerence. I was going to bottle carb this but I dont think I will be able to. Looking for a way that I can force carb 1 gal of beer for not a lot of money. Any Suggestions? Thanks in advance

BBS

it would be cheaper to just pitch some notty on it. it's good to about 12%

Personally, I think you will be fine - assuming you have a good fermentation. It may take a little longer for the bottles to carb up though. If you want to be extra safe, add more dry yeast at bottling - I do this with the big beers that I bulk age for a while before bottling and it seems to work just fine. I only add a gram or two of dry yeast for my batches, so for just a gallon you won't need much. I use S-04 or S-05.

More than half of your fermentables are coming from simple sugar. Definitely not the recipe for tasty beer.

Lots o' sugar in that batch. Not sure how it will taste.

But it should carb up okay. Wouldn't take much fresh yeast to revitalize a 1 gallon batch.

You will be fine with the yeast. Oxygenate the crap out of the batch by sloshing or shaking it for like 15 minutes and the yeast will be happy and healthy.

As far as the beer, I don't think everyone saw that we are talking about a 1 gallon batch here. It is going to be fine. It may be a bit on the "hot" side alcohol wise, and it is definitly going to be a dry beer, but should be a drinkable beer.

Unless I'm reading it wrong, more than 50% of the fermentables are from dextrose. 1# 3 oz is 19 ounces correct?

If its not great, your only out 1 gallon of beer, so don't sweat it too much.

I missed the amount of dextrose in this brew originally. I'm with everyone else that says this is much too much simple sugar. The most I've see heard of using is with some big Belgian beers an then it was "only" 30% or so. But with 1 gallon, there's not a lot to lose here. In general, I follow the no more than 10% rule and then just for high gravity beers.

Keep us posted on how this goes. More data to back up or refute these "how much sugar" ideas is always good.

Thanks for all for the replies. Ill keep you posted on how things go. Yep im aware that its mostly sugar to those who pointed it out. Im just making a small batch to clear out some extra stuff in my pantry. May not be the most tasty but it will get you from sober to drunk in a couple bottles :)

I would think a heavy beer could carry a good amount of sugar
I mean it wont dry out more then it would without the sugar would it?
Might be a bit on the hot side tho

Oh yes i will need an update to find out how wrong i am

janivar123 said:
I would think a heavy beer could carry a good amount of sugar
I mean it wont dry out more then it would without the sugar would it?
Might be a bit on the hot side tho

Oh yes i will need an update to find out how wrong i am

It will dry out more than if the sugar was exchanged for an appropriate amount of malt or malt extract. Simple sugars are 100% fermentable (which is why ciders and wines which are almost 100% simple sugars dry out so much and finish at 1.000 or lower). The more simple sugars the drier and thinner the final beer (assuming of course that the yeast don't poop out first due to alcohol intolerance - which only usually happens at 12%+ ABV)

I feel like I am raising the deal with this post but I wanted to give you guys an update. This beer was not even drinkable after 2 weeks(way to hot). However after about a month it is great! I had some pumpkin Pie spice and vanilla in the batch that I brewed right before this one, and I also used the same yeast cake to give it another go. So this one picked up just a few hints of vanilla and the spices and it turned out surprisingly good. I would make it again if I could but I doubt it would turn out the same. Thanks for all the reply and suggestions

BBS

Back