Airlock Activity But...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Montanaandy

Reaction score
Did my first AG batch this past weekend - it was an experience and lets just say that there is room for improvement on my conversion ratios :)

I made a larger starter (2000ml) on the stirplate using Wyeast 1056 which was much more active than prior starters (this one frothed out which has not happened with the 1000ml starters that I have used before). Put it in the fridge the night before, took it out to warm up for an hour or so before pitching. Made a very hoppy IPA following the Hopinator III recipe.

After boiling down in the BK (really strong boil for 90 minutes) and cooling down with the IC to 70-75 I proceeded to transfer to a 6 gal BB. Tried to use the spigot but that clogged due to the leaf Cascade. Had to pour into the funnel and when all was said and done I suddenly realized that I had only around 3.5-4 gal at best of wort left from the AG process/boil down. I frantically added cold water (it was freezing) to fill the BB to around the 5.5 gal level. Pitched the yeast and shook things up and took it down to the basement.

I am at about 32 hours and I am showing activity in the airlock but there is no krausen. There is a 2 oz layer of Cascade leaf sitting at the top. I would have expected a lot more activity given the size of the starter and my previous experience with my starters which have really taken off after several hours and produced a healthy krausen. The sticker thermometer on the side of the carboy shows that we are at 68' inside which shows activity (started at 63').

Since this is my first AG I am a bit puzzled and am wondering if I screwed things up by adding too much cold water to the wort and brought the wort temp too low when I pitched. Is there anything else that I should do other than just sit tight and continue to allow the beer to proceed on its course? Thanks, Montanaandy

The airlock activity is irrevelant, and is in this case more apt to be some offgassing, and some co2 production....THings are starting to happen, but since https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/fermentation-can-take-24-72-hrs-show-visible-signs-43635/ you have nothing to be concerned about...if it beginning to be putting out co2, then the yeasties are having their pre-fermentation orgy, and will begin building the factory (the krausen) soon enough. :D

But get out of the habit of relying on your airlock as anything other than a valve to release co2...not as a gauge.

:mug:

Back