What Happened To My Beer?!?!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I brewed my first AG batch on Saturday, and pitched it with a 800mL starter. It is a blonde ale. It was fermenting like crazy for a while, and then just stopped a couple of days ago. I actually had to put a blow-off tube on the air lock because I had foam coming out of my airlock. I looked yesterday, and it looks like my beer is getting a little bit of a green tint to it. Whats going on?:confused:

probably nothing , post a picture, but in reality the beer will undergo lots of color changes. Once it starts to clear you will notice that it looks darker than you intended, that is fine, it will look this way in a carboy.

Hmm... dont recall reading about green tint in either Palmer's or Papazian's books. There's probably nothing wrong. If you had furious krausen and required a blow off tube for a few days it sounds like everything went well. Most of my ale fermentations will be active (krausen or foam) for about 3 to 6 days. After about day 4 or 5 the foam starts to subside.

RDWHAHB. Leave it alone. Check again in a few days when you're ready to rack and/or take a hydrometer sample for FG.

Nothing wrong, fermentations just doing it's thing...it's probably done with the most dynamic part of it, but that doesn't mean the yeast if finished with the job...

And the "green tint" is just you paranoia acting up....and maybe some hopscum floating to the surface.

RDWHAHB....

I tried to get a pic, but it didn't do the color justice. Reading all of this makes me feel A LOT better. Thanks for all of the opinions!

I agree with the previous posts. It's also quite possible that as the beer clears, the way it refracts light is changing in such a way that your lighting (fluorescent, perhaps?) is casting a tint in the beer that it did not when cloudy.

So yes. Relax, Don't Worry, Have A Home Brew.

Latest posts

Back