Way to go "Family Dollar" Oxi Wash and Pet Better Bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BillTheSlink

Reaction score
I have to admit when a fellow on here told me he never has to brush or spray his carboys/Better Bottles because he fills the with scalding tap water after bottling and generic Oxi Clean I was a little skeptical after my last fiasco with my glass carboy and PBW which I thought left behind stuck on hops flakes and I brushed and brush, but they turned out to be imperfections in the glass.

Long story short: tonight I bottled Northern Brewer's cream ale from my 6 gal PET carboy and had some nasty scum behind, especially the krusen on then neck. I put in four scoops and filled with super hot tap water. The bubbling actions has cleared everything up just two hours in.

I was really afraid of the Better Bottles since you couldn't brush them. From now on, unless I ever do something with bacteria or like a cock ale with meet (and you know I will eventually ;) ) my two Better Bottles are my go to fermenters. It was really nice just being able to pick it up and take it to the kitchen without a Brew Hauler or all that extra weight from the glass.

I tell you another thing the Oxi Wash did. I made my swamp coolers out of dish pans also from Family Dollar. I had draped a tee shirt over the carboy to wick water. On a couple of occasions when an ashtray wasn't handy I through a cigarette butt in the swamp cooler which wicked nicotine stains into the old shirt. I just wanted to clean up the old shirt and dish pan and I put in a scope and warm water. Stains came right out and if the shirt wasn't wore out it would be ready to wear. It has never been a brighter white. That's pretty amazing stuff if you ask me.

Que The Monkeys' "I'm a Believer"

Rather than fill the carboy all the way, I just hit it about half way and then flip it upside down into a small pail to soak the top.......dunno your scoop size but 4 sounds like quite a bit of oxy!

I as at the dollar tree last night and saw what I think was generic of Oxi clean. It was called Oxi something, advertised no chlorine but I wasn't sure whether it was really the same thing. It wasn't a real big amount but probably good for a dollar. any one else try the dollar tree version of Oxi Clean?

SWMBO picked up some from the Dollar Tree. Active ingredients are sodium carbonate and sodium percarbonate, same as oxiclean. I haven't used it yet, but yes, it is the same stuff.

The generic brand at WalMart (if you can find the fragrance-free version) is also the same. Good stuff.

I've had less than stellar results with most of the generic oxy products....they don't seem to have the same fizzyness as the real version...and therefore I find that I tend to use MORE of the cheap stuff, which then negates the cost effectiveness....

When at all possible, I'd rather buy in bulk the oxyclean, like through Sam's club. I'll buy the other brands in a pinch...but usually regret that I did...

I honestly never knew how amazing oxiclean was until I found these forums. I don't know why I never tried it, but I could have used this stuff for years on so many things. From removing bottle labels to cleaning equipment, it's a lazy man's dream.

Not to mention cleaning virtually everything in the house with it. Made my old patio furniture look like new. I love it times eleventy billion.

I've had good luck with the generic "Sun" brand (forget exactly what the product is called), but it's difficult to find the unscented variety. (And a big tub of real OxiClean Free is only a little over $7 anyway.)

My Sam's doesn't carry the Oxiclean versatile free . Only the perfumed one with the little blue crystals So i have been getting it at Wallyword

I've had good luck with the generic "Sun" brand (forget exactly what the product is called), but it's difficult to find the unscented variety. (And a big tub of real OxiClean Free is only a little over $7 anyway.)

The "Sun" is what I got at Family Dollar.

On a couple of occasions when an ashtray wasn't handy I through a cigarette butt in the swamp cooler which wicked nicotine stains into the old shirt.

WTF?

You throw cigarette butts into the pan for your beer cooler? I am trying to think of a witty or snarky comment on that but all I can think of is: WTF????? I'm a non-smoker and obviously biased but who would want a pan of water with old cig butts floating around in it in your house or garage or basement or anywhere near your beer? :confused: I guess if you are making a Extra Special Marlboro Bitter or something that would be alright.

I can't find the "free" version anywhere, I have been using the regular with blue crystals. I just rinse real good, my equipment doesn't smell fragrant aftewards. I assume it is still okay. I think the little scrubbing bubbles carry away most of the odor anyhow.:D

WTF?

You throw cigarette butts into the pan for your beer cooler? I am trying to think of a witty or snarky comment on that but all I can think of is: WTF????? I'm a non-smoker and obviously biased but who would want a pan of water with old cig butts floating around in it in your house or garage or basement or anywhere near your beer? :confused: I guess if you are making a Extra Special Marlboro Bitter or something that would be alright.

Hay we throw them all over the ground. Do you think our house would be any different?;)

Seriously though, I was doing something at the time and normally don't smoke in the bed room. The water can't get into the beer. It can't hurt it.

Bill

I can't find the "free" version anywhere, I have been using the regular with blue crystals. I just rinse real good, my equipment doesn't smell fragrant aftewards. I assume it is still okay. I think the little scrubbing bubbles carry away most of the odor anyhow.:D

The "Sun" version from Family Dollar is bleach and chlorine free.

I get it at wallmart.

I use SUN brand...

ONE scoop per 6 gallons strips all the organics off, I love it. I use it to clean my kettle, hoses, kegs, HERMS plumbing, fermentors etc.

It is less than $1 per pound, it hasnt left ANYTHING behind, and it is readily available (read no shipping)

Love it.

you know, i have thought of an "Ode to Oxy-clean" thread before. the stuff seriously cleans great.
good for delabeling bottles with hot water too. in a couple hours, most of the labels are off and floating.

Back