Burton Ale yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Native302

Reaction score
I have a vial of White Labs Burton ale yeast. I'm looking for recomendations on what to brew to use this yeast.

I have a great APA recipe that uses Nottingham. If I substituted this would it totally screw it up. I've never used the burton yeast

I did an English IPA that uses it, but it's only 2.5 weeks in primary so far so I can't really comment. White Labs says (WLP023) it's "Great for all English styles, IPA's, bitters, and pales. Excellent in porters and stouts."

I made a pale ale with the Burton yeast and I did not care for it at all. The yeast overpowered the beer. I ended up letting the keg sit for quite a while and the yeast flavor backed off a bit, but it was still much more pronounced than I was hoping for.

I made a pale ale with the Burton yeast and I did not care for it at all. The yeast overpowered the beer. I ended up letting the keg sit for quite a while and the yeast flavor backed off a bit, but it was still much more pronounced than I was hoping for.

Same results for me. I tried it in a pale ale and a stout and just didn't care for the flavors it gave off. Here's my caveat: I did these two brews before I controlled my fermentation temps and they likely fermented around low to mid 70s. Possibly higher. A cooler environment could greatly reduce the esters, making this decent. If you have it, you may as well use it. Just make sure you ferment cool. I'd even go below the recommended and try 65F, but again thats just my opinion. :mug:

I used it on orfys mild mannerded mild and It turned out pretty great. I brewed the same recipe with s-04 and notty also, but I liked the burton best. I fermented around 62-64.

I get Burton Ale yeast from my local microbrewery for free and use it for a my portors and IPAs and it does fine for me. I ferment in the low 60s during the fall, winter and spring so maybe that is why I don't have a problem with it.

Back