Second batch - Kolsh or Fat Tire Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

planenut

Reaction score
My Extra Pale Ale went well and is Fermenting now.

I"m already contemplating my next batch. I'd like something different, maybe lighter than the Extra Pale Ale.

I'm leaning toward a Kolsch but am worried about temperatures. My Extra Pale Ale is at 64-68 degrees in my study by the a/c vent. Is that cool enough for the Primary? That looks like it would be ok but I'm not sure?

Also would it need much lower temps in the secondary? I'm looking at Freezers but don't have one yet.

I like Fat Tire but Not sure which Clone if I choose that route and it seems fairly similar to the Extra Pale Ale. AHS or Midwest or NorthernBrewers?

Ideas?

Do you have the ability to lager? You want to lager a Kolsch for a few weeks before tapping it. If not, I'd go with the Amber.

The kolsch will do fine at that temp and although you should age a kolsch at lower temps it will be fine at that range. I have heard good things about AHS's Fat Tire Clone

i have a great fat tire like recipe. its not a clone recipe but this beer was great. i was told by a person whos favorite beer is fat tire that it might possibly be better than fat tire. if you want it i can post it up.

i have a great fat tire like recipe. its not a clone recipe but this beer was great. i was told by a person whos favorite beer is fat tire that it might possibly be better than fat tire. if you want it i can post it up.

Please post it.. Sounds like it might be an AG and I'm not up for that yet but I'd still like to have a look.

Thanks

its not a allgrain its extract with grains to steep. here it is enjoy and let me know what you think when its all done because me and my friend thought it was great.

MALTS

7.5 lbs extra light LME
.50 lbs cara-pils dextrine malt
.50 lbs crystal 20L
.50 lbs munich malt
.25 lbs biscuit malt
.25 lbs victory malt
1oz chocolate malt

HOPS

1.50 oz fuggle hops 60min
.50 oz fuggle hops 15min

YEAST

wyeast 1792 fat tire ale yeast

all grains were steeped for 30 min @ 150 deg. LME was added late to avoid carmelizing. i used fat tire ale yeast from wyeast im not sure of a substitute for this yeast if you cant get it, i know it can be purchased online and most lhs have it.

Ok,

99% sure I'm going with a Kolsch and the Y2565 Wyeast Kolsch yeast

Primary should be around 62 degrees for 10-14 days?

Secondary should be 14-28 additional days at 34 degrees. I'll try and drop the temp from 62 down by 3 degrees per day.

Good so far?

The recipe doesn't seem to include any clarifier. Should I get some whirlfloc, Irish Moss, Gelatin or something?

Koelsch - it's the only language you can drink ;)

Besides being a great beer, it's pretty amazing to think that this brew, which is less than 100 years old in its present form, has managed become a centerpiece of the culture and folklore of a 2000 year old city.

Back