Oxygenating/Aerating wort?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LuisCheco

Reaction score
Hi,

I have been researching on some threads about oxygenating/aerating the wort in different ways. Some people use O2 to oxygenate the wort, others shake their carboys. But I don’t like the idea of using O2 tanks in my house or shaking a glass carboy. It could be dangerous.

So I was wondering if a could aerate my wort with an aquarium air pump. I like this option because is cheaper and safer. What do guys think?

Last edited by a moderator:
I've read that people use an in-line filter on the plastic tubing to make sure nothing gets into the wort. I've never used this method. I have slowly poured my wort into the bucket with a fair amount of splashing and never had an issue with the end result.

I've read that people use an in-line filter on the plastic tubing to make sure nothing gets into the wort. I've never used this method. I have slowly poured my wort into the bucket with a fair amount of splashing and never had an issue with the end result.

I started using the slow pour method about a year ago - I hold the kettle as high as possible while pouring into the fermenter. Previously, I poured gently, followed by dipping a large cup into the wort and pouring it back 100 times. The vigorous pouring method improved my attenuation greatly.

Here are some aeration ideas for you - https://www.homebrewtalk.com/wort-aeration-how-to-build-a-free-pump.html. As long as you keep the O2 closed or disconnected when not using and away from open flame when using, you decrease your danger. I use O2, take necessary precautions, and don't worry. Bottom line, there are many options - do what works for your system and what makes you comfortable.

There are a lot of avenues. I went as least technical as possible, without pouring and splashing.... It's a wine degasser.

94.jpg

I impress my girlfriend with feats of strength by shaking all 5 gallons vigorously until she swoons. Danger is my middle name.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=541723 This was 16 posts under yours that you posted. Hate being the jerk but a simple search would give you your answer. site:homebrewtalk.com aeration methods OR site:homebrewtalk.com aquarium pump aeration

Going to any home brew site will have aeration kits http://www.austinhomebrew.com/Beer/Starter-Equipment/Aeration-Kit.html#.Vd9QIPlVhBc

Shaking and pump will give you 8ppm which is at the lowest part of the range for O2 in beer but still fine. Straight O2 will give you the 10ppm that Wyeast recommends and takes 1/4 the time as a pump. You just need to be careful because you can go well over the max and over oxygenate the beer. Using O2 in your house is fine.

I think next time I am gonna sanitize my stick-blender & use that...

Hmm...

I've been using O2 for years. No problems with burning my house down or anything like that. I store it in the garage. Seems safe for what we're using it for. Beer comes out great

Back