10 gallon batches

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jayfro21

Reaction score
For those that brew 10 gallon batches, how do you ferment them? Do you break them up in 2 and put them in separate carboys, or is there some other vessel that allows one to ferment 10 gallons at once?

jason

I have a 12.2 ss conical fermenter that I used for a while until I made the holes bigger to weld sanitary (clover) fittings on it. so until I find a welder to do that i've been using 2 5 gallon better bottles.
8724-SSFermenter003.jpg

I split up the batch into two 6 gallon primaries and then rack to secondary in two 5 gallon carboys.

I use my keggle to bottle by siphoning the two back together on top of the priming sugar. It works for me.

Carl, where did you pick up that 12.2 gal conical?

I made the stand and purchased the cone from AHS when they were on closeout. they were having a 10% off sale too, so I got it cheap. I wanted a domed lid instead of the flat so I purchased that from Toledo metal spinning. that was kinda expensive, but I like the look of the dome (adds height for fermentation too) then I cut a hole for the corny lid and then drilled a small hole for the ss barbed elbow for the blow off. Now I just need to get the two clover fittings welded and i'll be good to go.

if you're handy it will be cheaper and you can customize it a million of ways, I'm not sure what $$ I have in it but it's less. Plus you get that DIY satisfaction.

I have been considering making the jump to 10 gallon batches recently. When I do, I think I will use a spare 16 gallon keg that I have for a fermentor.

Its just a regular Sankey keg with the fill tube removed. A large stopper, air lock, and you have a fermentor with plenty of head space.

I have been using an 8 gallon keg for a fermentor for the last several years.
They are durable, have built-in handles, and can be rolled on the floor to aerate your wort.

I was considering using half barrels to get multiple batches going, might have to give it a try unless I get the three tier going first.

Personally I use the "Franken Tank" as my homebrew shop owner markets it.
He says it's 14 gallon, but it has to be closer to 20.
It's basically a huge food grade plastic bucket with a steel locking ring (no blowing the lid). Drill a hole for a spigot and use a tube into a growler of water.
I believe it was origanally intended for bulk meat packaging.

I got some stratification when doing my first 10 gal batch and using two fermentors.

I use a 13 Gal Vittles Vault for my 10 gallon batches. You can get them from pet supply stores, but the price from US Plastics is much better.

If I'm making 10 gallons of it, it's usually a smaller session beer, so I don't bother with a secondary. 3 weeks in the primary then straight to keg.

Back