Can I make all-grain even though I dont have a kettle with a spout?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

britishbloke

Reaction score
Hi all,

I recently went out and bought two 10 gallon coolers. And a arm sparge.

I watched a video of all grain fly sparging. I noticed the kettle has has a spout. Mine doesnt. Can I get around this without having to buy a new kettle?

Do I need two 10 gallon coolers or should I have just got one as a five gallon?:(

don't know what i would do with multiple coolers but i would probably find some tortured reason to use the xtra. i have about 10 AG's done without a tap on the boil kettle. i have gotten around it two ways so far, the clumsy and messy, but fast, strainer/funnel pour from the kettle method. a helper id very useful with this method and i have used my racking cane to transfer to the ferm vessel. i also use loose whole hops and if you whirlpool the wort a few minutes prior to racking it helps avoid a 'hop clog'. with that said a tap would make life easier

Just siphon the wort. You do not need a spout on the kettle. Look at BierMunchers gallery pics for a way to siphon and strain at the same time. Heck here is the link >> Click

I have made 8 AG's with 1 x 10gal cooler and a 1 8gal kettle with NO spigot. Not neccessary at all, I just cool the wort down in the kettle then siphon into a fermenter.

You already have more equipment than I have and I have done a couple of AG batches and I'm planning more without any upgrades. With your setup you can use one cooler as an HLT (hot liquor tank) the second as the MLT (mash lauter tun) and your pot to heat the liquor and as a brew kettle. For 5gal batches the HLT probably does not need to be bigger than 5gal but 10 doesnt hurt and will allow you to upgrade to 10gal batches in the future.
There is no need for a spigot unless you are using a counterflow chiller. Even with that you can siphon with a steel cane. You will just need to cool the wort first (an immersion chiller is a good idea here) then either siphon or pour the wort into you fermenter.

Good luck and have fun.
Craig

I have done 70+ all grain batches with no spigot on my brewpot and I have to plans to put one on there. Don't see the need especially when I see all the contortions people go through to try to get clear wort out of the kettle through that spigot. I find it much simpler just to stick a stainless steel scrubbing pad onto the end of my autosiphon and pump out nice clean wort using whole hops and the scrubbie to filter out all the break and other trub.

Wayne
Bugeater Brewing Company

Back