Help on a Freezer Mod

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

_d_

Reaction score
I just bought a small chest freezer to store/settle my brew in. It turns out that freezers are way colder than my 30 degree target (duh).
I didn't mind springing for a ranco to control fermentation, since the yeast generate heat and I need to track the beers temp as it ferments. In the case of my lager/cellar freezer this is not an issue, and I can't see it necessary to buy another controller if I only want an ambient 30 at all times.
Any Ideas on how modify my freezer to hold 30 degrees without buying a new controller?

30° is really far too cold to keep your beer at. Unless you're storing Bud Light, of course.

However, this thread probably has what you're looking for, no controller needed: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/gu...mostat-32f-eliminate-external-control-249612/

That method works well for most people, but just in case you're in the minority that will have a problem with it, you should know that you can get a more than adequate temp controller for considerably cheaper than a Random will cost you. For about $25, you can get a dual-stage digital controller off of eBay... the only con with these units is that they work with Celsius only, but for such a cheap price, you can just print out a conversion table or use an online or smartphone calculator. The controllers are so full-featured that they've become hugely popular around here for fermentation chambers, kegerators/keezers, etc. Either way, if the above link doesn't totally work out for you, you should check out this thread (you can either make a similar enclosure, or save a few extra bucks by just wiring it into a short extension cord, or even directly into the freezer if you want): https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/ebay-aquarium-temp-controller-build-163849/

Good luck, and let us know how it works out. I still strongly recommend storing your beer a bit warmer (AT LEAST 38°), though!

Why 38? I've always heard 30 was recommended. Is that just for brite tank and not storage?

Why 38? I've always heard 30 was recommended. Is that just for brite tank and not storage?

Where did you hear 30 was recommended?! Unless you're storing Coors Lite - where you actually don't want to taste what little the beer has to offer - that's way, way below any commonly recommended serving temp. Indeed, that's almost below the deepest temp recommended for crash cooling craft brews!

Cheers!

Just to be clear, I'm just storing at that temp. I'm not serving at that temp. My kegerator is in the 40s. I'm just storing and lagering at 30. I read in the new charlie bamforth book that storing at 30 was optimal, and many professional operations used that temp (at least in the brite tank, i'll have to check) I also heard Jamil Z say that he stores his beer as close to 30 as possible on a brewing network podcast.

Back