Newbie question. Extra time in Primary okay?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sydwaiz

Reaction score
edit: Nevermind! Just read some of the faqs for beginners. Doh! :eek:

Hi all. I'm currently brewing my second batch of beer, a Diamond Knot IPA. I boiled 5 days ago and saw activity later that night. (I threw in an extra packet of yeast that was more than a year expired and not in the fridge, I guess they still had some life left!) My instructions say to wait 1 minute between bubbles before transfering to the secondary. I'm probably at that point tonight but I won't have time to rack it as I'm heading out of town for the weekend. My question is this, will it be okay to let it sit in the primary for a few extra days before racking to the secondary and adding the hops? Thanks!

If instructions say to count bubbles then you know that the instructions were made by someone without much experience. Your brew should be finished in 2 to 3 weeks when the SG is at or near 1.010 SG. Then it is OK to bottle or keg the beer.

The GREAT thing about home brewing is that it is the perfect procrastinator hobby.

Longer is always better (within reason)

Back