First time kegging a hefeweizen help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adaml09

Reaction score
I've been told to chill the beer 2-3 days before transferring to the keg (due to clarity issues I think?). I've been chilling it for a day now and the beer is starting to layer in the fermenter. Would it be an issue if I transfer to the keg after one day, because the hefeweizen is meant to be cloudy?

I see no reason to chill a hefe (or most any beer for that matter) before kegging. I do a long primary of about 3-4 weeks, and then straight to keg. I've been amazed at how clear the beers come out, some even a little too clear.

Awesome thanks! I was planing on force carbonating, was hoping the CO2 would saturate easier in the cold beer. We'll see

I don't cold crash a hefe (or add any clearing agent). I lightly agitate (shake my keg) every few days to keep yeast in suspension on hefes 7 wits. otherwise they will clear... if it sticks around more than a few weeks in 40° kegerator.

Back