15.5 gal mash = 20 gal wort

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sanch

Reaction score
i am in the prosess of building a single tier settup it is fairly standard HLT MLT BK all keggles. i started work on a flash boiler similar to Green Monties witch renders the HLT useless, and have been thinking i could have 2 BK's and one mash tun and possibly do 20gal batches from one mash. split the wort in to two boil kettles. most of my beers are 1.050 to 1.060 O.G. i have looked at charts and calculators and am getting conflicting info. is this possible and or recomended has any body done somthing similar, i have yet to brew all grain so any info would be greatly appriciated. Thanks

i am in the prosess of building a single tier settup it is fairly standard HLT MLT BK all keggles. i started work on a flash boiler similar to Green Monties witch renders the HLT useless, and have been thinking i could have 2 BK's and one mash tun and possibly do 20gal batches from one mash. split the wort in to two boil kettles. most of my beers are 1.050 to 1.060 O.G. i have looked at charts and calculators and am getting conflicting info. is this possible and or recomended has any body done somthing similar, i have yet to brew all grain so any info would be greatly appriciated. Thanks

My batches are almost always in the 1.050 to 1.060 range, too, and from personal experience....

I used to use a 10 gallon cooler, and I could make 10 gallon batches with it, but it was precarious (mash tun fill to the absolute top - 75% efficiency).

getting 20 gallons from a 15 gallon MLT would be awfully difficult for me.

I'd say, probably not given the amount of grain needed given a realistic BH efficiency. But you definitely could do one stronger 10 gal batch and a less agressive second 10gal batch. Total 20 gals from a single mash and two different beers to enjoy.

I'd say, probably not given the amount of grain needed given a realistic BH efficiency. But you definitely could do one stronger 10 gal batch and a less agressive second 10gal batch. Total 20 gals from a single mash and two different beers to enjoy.

could i mix the two together in the fermenter and yeald an OG beween 1.050 and 1.060 and if not how big of MT do i need to effectively produce such an outcome.

I was thinking you would be better off pulling a 1.055 brew and a 1.042 second brew. But given high efficiency you could probably get 20 gal of 1.050. You can always use some corn sugar or malt extract to make up a few points in gravity if you miss OG by a little bit. But I would say trying to get 20 gal of 1.060 is near impossible without extract or sugar addition.

Rough calc says you need room for 30+ Lbs of grain to hit 1.060. 23lbs of grain fills my 15.5 gal tun a little over 2/3 full, so theoretically you could get 30 lbs in there but you will have a very deep mash without much room for stirring.

Rough calc says you need room for 30+ Lbs of grain to hit 1.060. 23lbs of grain fills my 15.5 gal tun a little over 2/3 full, so theoretically you could get 30 lbs in there but you will have a very deep mash without much room for stirring.

Using Promash, I took one of my 5 gallon recipes and upped it to 20 gallons. At 85% efficiency, this resulted in a grain bill of 40 lbs.

Using the "Can I Mash It" calculator on http://www.rackers.org/calcs.shtml , 40 lbs of grain mashed at 1.2 qts/lb.... you would need 15.2 gallons of space in the MLT.

So... it is possible, but a couple of comments about that example I just gave.

I personally don't get 85% efficiency. I get 75%. So, I would need 45 lbs of grain to get 1.060 OG 20 gallon batch. And to fit that into a keg, I would have to mash REALLY thick... close to 1 qt/lb. That thick of a mash might be a pain.

i have a motorized mash mixer in the works. hopfully it wont blast my mash out of the pot.

Using Promash, I took one of my 5 gallon recipes and upped it to 20 gallons. At 85% efficiency, this resulted in a grain bill of 40 lbs.

Using the "Can I Mash It" calculator on http://www.rackers.org/calcs.shtml , 40 lbs of grain mashed at 1.2 qts/lb.... you would need 15.2 gallons of space in the MLT.

So... it is possible, but a couple of comments about that example I just gave.

I personally don't get 85% efficiency. I get 75%. So, I would need 45 lbs of grain to get 1.060 OG 20 gallon batch. And to fit that into a keg, I would have to mash REALLY thick... close to 1 qt/lb. That thick of a mash might be a pain.

would a thicker mash efect my efficiency. why would it be a pain? i only ask because i have never mashed

Back