Have slurry, how much to use?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 22118

Reaction score
I brewed a 10 gallon batch and ended up with about a pint of pure yeast. I am going to brew another ten gallon batch and want to use my new stirplate for a starter and want to know how much I need to use in order to brew the next batch? I usually use the whole amount to make the next batch. I know it is excessive, but it gets the job done and it is way freaking better than underpitching.

That said, any thoughts?

I am thinking of brewing this weekend and would be getting the starter on in the next few days so any info is much appreciated.

yeah just dump it in you dont need the stir plate
all that will do is increase contams chances

i just keg 10 gal of cream ale and used the yeast to make 5 gal of cider monday morning
i just carefully pored off the yeast from one carboy and pitched it right in to the juice
it was about 10oz that was yesterday and its going like a rockette
i am doing 5 gal of juice plus 3 lbs of DME and 3 cans of concentrate plus some crystal 60 and .5 oz of centillion hops
its going like a rocket i am doing it in stages first stage was 2 gal juice and the
DME , today i added one more gal of juice, , and so on, the last can is to back sweeten after a super cold crash and racking.

I have read MrMalty.com and it has good info. However, how is it that I can start with 2 packets and end up with a loaf of yeast and that is the same amount to ferment the same size batch? This is kinda my way of trying to use my stirplate since I harvested the yeast about two to three weeks back and I want to make sure that it is nice and healthy. I was under the impression that it is a good idea to make a starter if you aren't just repitching within a week or so. All this said, the last time I pitched straight from a slurry that had been hanging a couple weeks I got a ton of esters that I didn't like. This is why I would rather try to make up a starter for a day or so and then pitch that instead.

So how much do I need for a starter? A cup, 1oz, 10 grams, the whole thing?

I have read MrMalty.com and it has good info. However, how is it that I can start with 2 packets and end up with a loaf of yeast and that is the same amount to ferment the same size batch?

I don't really understand this question. Are you talking about dried yeast packets?

If so, the yeast are manufactured with nutrients and are compressed. Water has a lot of volume; most of even the thickest, pancake-batter yeast slurry is still water. Hell, you're pretty solid, and you're 60% water!

This is kinda my way of trying to use my stirplate since I harvested the yeast about two to three weeks back and I want to make sure that it is nice and healthy. I was under the impression that it is a good idea to make a starter if you aren't just repitching within a week or so. All this said, the last time I pitched straight from a slurry that had been hanging a couple weeks I got a ton of esters that I didn't like. This is why I would rather try to make up a starter for a day or so and then pitch that instead.

Oh. You didn't tell us it was old. You just asked how much to use.

You can ballpark-calculate the viability of your harvested slurry. You lose 10% the instant you harvest it. If it's stored optimally - cold and under beer - you lose about 25% viability every seven days. So, slurry that was harvested three weeks ago is only about 15% viable.

In this instance, making a starter is advisable. I advocate brewing the starter and settling the starter yeast into slurry, then pitching the slurry, instead of pitching the entire starter. I loathe dilution. ;)

Bob

Look at a White Labs vial sometime.
The vials are 35ml, but it's mostly clear liquid.
There's maybe a teaspoonful of pure yeast in there.

Now, is your yeast *pure* as in washed, or do you have trub mixed in?
When I wash the yeast from a 5 gal batch, it yields only a few tablespoons of pure yeast.
The rest is trub.

Back