Fluorescent light & skunky flavors?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bills Brew

Reaction score
We all know that sunlight and clear carboys can create skunky flavors, but can florescent lighting do the same? I keep my carboys covered during primary and secondary fermentation, but am curious if anybody has any experience with this.

I don't know the science behind skunking, but in reef aquaria, the lights are special (and expensive) because of the types and high levels of UV rays emitted that mimic the sun. I doubt regular house flourescent lighting has the ability to produce these UVA and such rays. But again, I'm not sure what in light it is that skunks beer...so this was basically useless.

I have a feeling that Heineken, Corona, and New Castle don't spend too much time in the sun but have skunnk coming out the wazoo. I imagine that sun just expedites the process.

It's not UV radiation that "skunks" beer. It's the presense of photons that react with the hop compounds that causes it. So, any light will cause it.

Back