S-04 Weird after taste

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WDT

Reaction score
Ok, so I'm an IPA fan and still new to the game. I recently brewed a Stone ruination clone, a dogfish head 90 clone, and used S-04 for both of them. Double pitched 2 packets. The dogfish head has a weird aftertaste and so does the ruination. I just tapped my keg of pliny the elder (s-05) and it is fan freaking tastic. So I know it's not my process.

The only mishap I had was the ruination had stalled out at 1.29 and I added energizer and let it warm up to 70 from about 62 (i know too cold). I hit my target FG, no prob after that.

Is there a sweet spot for this yeast? I have 3 more packs that I don't know what to do with because I'm convinced this yeast isn't for me.

I use so4 sometimes. But always, under 64 degrees. It gets weirdly fruity if it gets above 65 degrees or so. I suspect if it got weird for you that it got above 65 degrees at some point, either at pitching or after.

I like it at cooler temperatures, and it leaves a nice clear behind but I don't use it much anymore due to the off-flavor you've described.

WDT said:
Ok, so I'm an IPA fan and still new to the game. I recently brewed a Stone ruination clone, a dogfish head 90 clone, and used S-04 for both of them. Double pitched 2 packets. The dogfish head has a weird aftertaste and so does the ruination. I just tapped my keg of pliny the elder (s-05) and it is fan freaking tastic. So I know it's not my process.

The only mishap I had was the ruination had stalled out at 1.29 and I added energizer and let it warm up to 70 from about 62 (i know too cold). I hit my target FG, no prob after that.

Is there a sweet spot for this yeast? I have 3 more packs that I don't know what to do with because I'm convinced this yeast isn't for me.

Send the packs to me. S-04 makes awesome brews. Some recipes from hbt include Mirror Pond, Captain Hooked on Bitters. A Sam smith nut brown ale clone, mrbowenz English ipa. I even used it on Yoopers LakeFront IPA clone, which came out fantastic.

As mentioned, keep the temperatures under control with it, 62-64 is better than 68-70.

I don't use it much anymore due to the off-flavor you've described.

Same here! I also detect similar flavors in British IPA's, to the point I don't really care for them, guessing I am that much of a patriot and prefer American beers.

Can't beat S04 for its fermenting and flocing FWIW.

I hate S04.

I ferment in a 60 degree room, and always get really screwy esters with this yeast. I'm sure it's not s04's fault, but i'll use any other english ale yeast.

Yooper said:
I like it at cooler temperatures, and it leaves a nice clear behind but I don't use it much anymore due to the off-flavor you've described.

Thanks, how would you describe the flavor?

wilserbrewer said:
Same here! I also detect similar flavors in British IPA's, to the point I don't really care for them, guessing I am that much of a patriot and prefer American beers.

Can't beat S04 for its fermenting and flocing FWIW.

It's a beast for a couple of porters I've done. I don't think I'm using it right for IPAs.

copyright1997 said:
Send the packs to me. S-04 makes awesome brews. Some recipes from hbt include Mirror Pond, Captain Hooked on Bitters. A Sam smith nut brown ale clone, mrbowenz English ipa. I even used it on Yoopers LakeFront IPA clone, which came out fantastic.

As mentioned, keep the temperatures under control with it, 62-64 is better than 68-70.

Haha, what do you have for trade? ;)

Hmmm...since I don't have a LHBS in Lafayette, I usually do dry yeast. Either US-05 or Saf-04. Any English style, it's been Saf-04 and I've also used it for all stouts and the occasional brew where I ran out of US-05 and haven't ever had problems with it as you describe. It does lend an English yeast profile if fermented 65-70ish, meaning a little fruitiness.

I was told recently that Saf-04 is the same strain as London ESB.

If you're wanting a cleaner profile like US-05, definitely do low 60s for fermentation as this one is a fruity English strain.

I use so4 sometimes. But always, under 64 degrees. It gets weirdly fruity if it gets above 65 degrees or so. I suspect if it got weird for you that it got above 65 degrees at some point, either at pitching or after.

Same here. I refuse to use it. I can't stand that aftertaste. Try Notty, or better yet some WLP002 if you want to stay sorta 'English'.

It's an ester bomb! I haven't been able to control S-04 like I have with strains. Doesn't matter what I do with the swamp cooler, this yeast heats up so much during fermentation that it ruins my beers--for my palate, at least. Fermentation sure is fun to watch, though. You'd swear you are watching a blender.

S-04 isn't for everyone. It tends to develop a kind of bready tartness, both in the aroma and flavour, along with unique esters if fermented too warm or if pitched too warm: it's one yeast where I pitch below fermentation temperature. Some even describe the tartness as akin to that of plain yogurt. I got that once, when I pitched at 70F and used a swamp cooler.

Be aware though that even when it is fermented low, it tends to be bready. It's very often described as neutral, but I don't get neutral at all from it.

I personally like it a lot, even for bitters, but I do like biscuity/bready in my beers. If you're looking more for a neutral yeast that won't brand your beer with its signature taste, US-05 is though to beat as you saw.

I pitched a pack (rehydrated) into 64f Edworts Robust Porter and held 64 for 24 hours and then let free rise to 67f and held it thereafter, and at the 4 day mark Ill pull it from the fridge altogether to let it free rise to room temp. I really want to see how this yeast does in dark roasted beers.

Back