brew pot cover

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tprweller

Reaction score
I'm going to be using my immersion chiller this weekend and need something to cover my brewpot while I'm cooling down the wort. I don't want to try and notch out the lid, any suggestions?

If you don't want to notch the lid, just cover with aluminum foil that's been sprayed with sanitizer on the side that faces the opening. Or lay a towel over it after maybe soaking it in sanitizer.

I don't cover mine- it makes it to hard to stir. Stirring the wort gently while hot helps it cool faster by mixing the cooler wort away from the IC coils. After it gets below 80 degrees, I stir pretty vigorously to encourage it to cool faster and "whirlpool" it.

I was doing the same as Yooper before I bought a pump. I now use aluminum foil to cover the pot while I'm whirl pooling. No big deal either way. Sometimes I get nervous about the flies when Im brewing outside.

It wouldn't worry to much about this. I always chill without a lid and have had no problems. Usually I can get it down to pitch temps in under 30 minutes. I guess that bugs and flies and such are a source of worry. I'm more fearful of windy conditions that can blow specs of dust that may be an eventual source of contaminates. So if I can chill indoors, that's my preferred method of operation.

Back