Traditional Ebbelwoi/Stoeffsche

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thejerk

Reaction score
Howdy y'all. I want to make a traditional Hessischer Ebbelwoi. To my understanding that means it's served uncarbonated, no sugar added. Super traditional would mean no yeast added, just go with the natural yeasts in fresh pressed, unpasteurized apple juice, but I plan on adding wine yeast to help it out.
Does anybody have roots in Germany or info/tips? Anybody done it this way? Also, can I bottle uncarbonated Ebbelwoi the same way, with regular beer bottle caps, and will it keep? Is there a specific type of wine yeast that the Hessisch Kelterer usually use for their Stoeffsche?
I live near an apple orchard that sells their raw, unpasteurized apple juice frozen year round. I plan on just using that. Sounds super easy and super delicious.

I think carbonated cider is safer in the bottle but it should be alright uncarbonated. To be safer you can monitor pH to be in the safe 3.2 - 3.5 range and use a yeast like champagne which ferments very dry so there is no fermentable sugar left, and think about malolactic fermentation. These are the sort of things commercial operations do to reduce risk of infection but most home cider makers don't worry and don't have problems so it is a matter of how risk averse you are.
Sorry but i have no idea what Ebbelwoi is, sounds like a character from star wars.

Bump...

I’m looking to find a traditional recipe to compare to my own that i had to come up with (since I couldn’t find a recipe for authentic Apfelwein). From what I can tell, “EdWort’s Apfelwein” recipe is actually more of a tasty “turbo cider” (i.e. added sugars, juice from concentrate, etc.)

I’m more interested in replicating the traditional German, Frankfurt-style Apfelwein. That, in my opinion, is a much more authentic “cider” than even what most commercial ciders are (too many ingredients, forced carbonation, etc.)

Thinking back to Apfelwein’s origins, apples were used in place of grapes, but the process was basically the same as old-world winemaking. For that matter, it seems to me that traditional Apfelwein is probably almost exactly like the cider in the early colonial United States (pressed apples, left to sit until fermented out).

Howdy y'all. I want to make a traditional Hessischer Ebbelwoi. To my understanding that means it's served uncarbonated, no sugar added. Super traditional would mean no yeast added, just go with the natural yeasts in fresh pressed, unpasteurized apple juice, but I plan on adding wine yeast to help it out.
Does anybody have roots in Germany or info/tips? Anybody done it this way? Also, can I bottle uncarbonated Ebbelwoi the same way, with regular beer bottle caps, and will it keep? Is there a specific type of wine yeast that the Hessisch Kelterer usually use for their Stoeffsche?
I live near an apple orchard that sells their raw, unpasteurized apple juice frozen year round. I plan on just using that. Sounds super easy and super delicious.

Did you ever try this? What were the results? I have some pressed apple juice fermenting with Belle Saison yeast now, which I plan on reusing indefinitely from the first generation, apportioning out some of the original generation every time.

Yeah, Edwort's Apfelwein with added sugar and carbed isn't quite in the traditional German style. Thanks though.

I think what was meant was to perhaps use the Ed Worts discussions on process as a starting point. Don't want the added sugar. Don't add it don't want carbonation, then don't carbonate. But, maybe, possibly use the basis of the discussions about Apfelwein as a means to investigate the care and feeding, and successes with varied strains of yeast, etc..

Back