Amber LME to DME

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gomb

Reaction score
I have a recipe that calls for 6lb of Amber LME. I keep a large ammount of Briess Pilsen DME on hand and would like to be able to use that. How would I go about converting the Pilsen to Amber?

To convert Amber extract, you need to know what malts were used to create the extract, along with the amounts (percentage-wise) of each malt.

Briess makes available the malts used (Two-Row, Munich and Crystal 60), but they don't say how much of each is used. The pilsen malt as is adequately subs for two-row, so you only have to worry about the Munich and Crystal. Munich malt needs to be mashed, so you'll need to do a partial mash.

Long story short, it'll be easier to buy amber extract and use the pilsen extract for something else.

Just shooting from the hip here...but you could steep about 1/2 - 3/4 lb of crystal C40 or C60 to add more "amber" characteristics to your pilsen DME.

Long story short, it'll be easier to buy amber extract and use the pilsen extract for something else.

That is what I was figuring. It was AHS amber extract, so I probably won't be able to find the exact numbers. 5lb of amber extract wont break me. Thanks for the help!

Use the Pilsen DME, and steep some crystal. The beer will be better. Suggest using C40 or C60.

Gravity, strength, and type of beer will determine how much Crystal you will want, but as an average I would suggest 0.5 to 0.75 lbs. Steeping it will give you between 9 and 14 points.

So to replace 6 lbs of you would use 4.6 lbs of DME + 0.5 lbs of Crystal, or 4.5 lbs of DME + 0.75 lbs Crytstal.

Latest posts

Back