Is this infected?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kpr121

Reaction score
Sorry, but this is my first 'could be' infected batch. This summer ale has been in primary for 4 weeks. Krausen came and went, and I was left with these floaties on top. They kind of look like mold but I am hoping that it is just some stubbern krausen. What do you think? (BTW yeast used was US-05)

DSC00050.jpg

Looks like leftover yeast rafts to me. Could be wrong though. I've never had yeast rafts hang around for that long

I hope its not infected, because I have some similar looking floaties in my IPA thats been in primary for 3 weeks

It doesnt exactly taste great, but I've had worse tasting beers before bottling/kegging that turned out okay. There may be a DMS issue from my propane running out 2/3 of the way through the boil, so I cant tell if the off flavor is canned corn or something more evil...

Could be... Probably not? hah, no help I guess.

Give it some time...

WARNING: terrible pun ahead!

...it's on your side.:D

Could be... Probably not? hah, no help I guess.

Give it some time...

WARNING: terrible pun ahead!

...it's on your side.:D

Well the only time I am giving it is in bottles. Maybe I should put them all in a garbage bag just in case?

Just looks like the krausen hasn't all fallen down yet. I other words perfectly normal yeast behaving as normal abnormal as they always do.

Guys, if it's not a pellicule or green with a ton of mold, if it looks at all like a krausen, then it's fine.

Just looks like the krausen hasn't all fallen down yet. I other words perfectly normal yeast behaving as normal abnormal as they always do.

Guys, if it's not a pellicule or green with a ton of mold, if it looks at all like a krausen, then it's fine.

Revvy, I was thinking you would come in and say that! I've brewed my fair share of beer, and have used US-05 for quite alot of those batches, and have never seen something like this.

With that said, yeast is abnormal sometimes, and I am hoping that is what it is. I think the DMS alone will be enough to make alot of this beer either a giveaway or drain pour, I didnt need to deal with some infection too. Now I am second guessing whether to use the bucket again or not.

I dumped a batch that looked exactly like that. However, if I knew then what I know now, I would have bottled anyway and just seen what happens...

Is the yeast harvested/recycled? If so, how many times?

Thats a good question. I know I used a US-05 cake for one of my latest batches but cant remember if it was this one or not. I'll check my notes when I get home. If it was it would only be the first re-pitching. I don't like to repitch on dry yeast cakes more than one since they are so cheap.

Are you thinking it could be a yeast mutation or something else?

I dumped a batch that looked exactly like that. However, if I knew then what I know now, I would have bottled anyway and just seen what happens...

Yea the plan is to let it sit and see where it goes from here. I figure the worst that can result is I have beer that my dog will drink (he gets 6-8 oz in his bowl from time to time, helps him deal with the stress of laying around on our bed in the air-conditioning all day every day).

At best it will be beer I can give away to drunk friends.

Aren't hops poisonous to dags? Thought I read that somewhere?

I make sure to only give him a few ounces at a time. And no DIPAs :D.

From my extensive google searching any results I've seen of malignant hyperthermia resulting from hops ingestion is by eating the hops whole, not ingesting the beer that contains hops. And it is frequently over 1 oz of hops.

So you shouldnt let Fido eat your spent hops after brewing (or fresh ones), but I doubt giving him a beer, which is 1/48th of your batch that was hopped with 1-2 ounces of hops total, once a week is going to have any negative effect.

Plus he gets so happy when you say "You want some beer?!".

Ha! All you gotta say is 'you want....' to my dog and he gets all excited over the word 'want'. Beer's another story, a few years back I opened one of those Guinness nitro bottles with a bic lighter, it was a flukey bottle and it popped really loud, the cap shot to the ceiling and then ricocheted and hit the dog. He's never been the same since, you offer him a beer and he barks and runs to his bed.

Thats a good question. I know I used a US-05 cake for one of my latest batches but cant remember if it was this one or not. I'll check my notes when I get home. If it was it would only be the first re-pitching. I don't like to repitch on dry yeast cakes more than one since they are so cheap.

Are you thinking it could be a yeast mutation or something else?

Dunno fer sure I'm just a newbie throwin ideas out there.:mug:

Back