Hombrewing NOOB, Fermenting chamber,cellar, and Kegarator HELP!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zrab11

Reaction score
Alright I start out with alittle intro and then get into my 3 questions.Alright right now i have a 5ft 5in long,2 ft wide and 2 ft 6in deep chest freezer. I bought a Ranco ETC-111000-000 Digital Temperature Controller and hooked it up to my freezer and have it set to 40-45 and i store all the beer i purchase in there. Use it as a cellar right now.

I am 3/4 of the Way Through Palmers How to Brew book and am super excited about getting a beer kit and brewing. Now i have been saving up money for about a month and will save until vacation(june 4th) then after our 2 week vacation i will buy all the supplies and start homebrewing.

Now as Beer is my hobby now or better yet a Life style I KNOW i will stick with the REST OF MY LIFE. I want to do this all RIGHT. After reading Palmers book i will start with Extract for my first few batches then move on to all grain. As no one went pro the first time they picked up a baseball bat. So i want to start basic but then progress.

What i am really saying is i KNOW i will be HOMEBREWING for a long while so i don't NEED the BIGGEST and BEST things all right now but want to get a set up that i wont have to mess with for 2 yrs or so. So here are my 3 questions.

1.) Most beers you homebrew, you will need to put in a dark dry place at a steady temperature of 60-70. Do alot of you use a chest freezer and hook up a temperature control and then put your carboys in there? If so how does a fridge or freezer heat up? THis might be a dumb question. But i feel if you left a freezer off the temperature wouldn't be 60 or 70 inside but maybe it would. So What is the Best thing to use to FERMENT beer at a Pretty EXACT temp.

2.) Turning a Chest Freezer into a beer tap bar
3.) Storing beer

I guess all my questions can come down to this. I need a Ferment Chamber, Beer Cellar and Kegarator. The kegarator is the least important(as i plan on bottleing my 1st few homebrews and kegging later on). I plan on using the idea where you raise the lid by putting wood frame around the inside and drilling your taps through the wood as to never harm the freezer. The Fermenter and beer chamber are most important. THe freezer i have now has more than enough room to do both but then that would cause my beers temp to be in the 60's for 2 or 3 weeks while my beer is fermenting. So i need help on should i use this big freezer as a cellar only or use this as my fermentor or turn this into my kegarator or sell the thing and buy 3 smaller freezers.Take in mind this freezer is from prob. 1980. Its built well but might be too big for all my needs. Also Take in mind for awhile i would only plan on having 2 carboys MAX fermenting at a time and also i would only down the road keg my own home brew so would only need room for 2-4 taps then. once i start homebrewing and bottling that will add to my steady 80-100 bottles i will keep all the time so a medium sized cellar is needed.

I feel this post was kinda jumbled but i home you get the point and can help my out so i can get a decent set up! Thanks

Lots of people use chest freezers and temp controllers for fermenting. Its one of the easiest and best ways to hit ferm temps dead on. For heating, throw a 50w lightbulb in there on the hot side of your controller.

As far as your cellaring/cooling delemna, do you have any cool dark places, maybe in a basement, that stay around 50-70 all year? That would be an okay place to store beer, as long as you arent planning on truely "cellaring" for multiple years. Remember if you are bottle (naturally) carbonating you need the beer to be at room temp for 3 weeks for the yeast to do it's thing and carbonate the beer. Additional time at room temp will help an average gravity beer as long as you are drinking it within a year or so. For your bigger beers you can keep them cooler if you plan to save em for a while. Then you can use a fridge or keezer for the beers that are ready to be drank.

O yeah, since you havent bought any equipment yet, I'll give you one piece of advise I wish I had when I started: Buy the biggest kettle you can afford, or look into building a keggle with a turkey fryer setup. You will not regret it.

Back