Pale Crystal vs. Crystal 40

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thezepster

Reaction score
I am going to be brewing the American Stout recipe out of Brewing Classic Styles and it calls for some Crystal 40. Heres the extract recipe for 10.5 liters (~2.25gal):

Light LME 2.45 kg

Steep:
Black Roasted Barley 225g
Chocolate Malt 170g
Crystal 40 170g

My problem is that my lhbs doesnt carry Crystal 40. They only carry what they call Pale Crystal. Im not sure what the deg L is for it but i assume its ~10. I dont think it will make much difference in the color of the beer because the roasted barley and chocolate will probably overpower the crystal anyway, but I want to get the recipe as close as possible. Is there a good way to substitute the Crystal 40 with the Crystal 10?

I am going to be brewing the American Stout recipe out of Brewing Classic Styles and it calls for some Crystal 40. Heres the extract recipe for 10.5 liters (~2.25gal):

Light LME 2.45 kg

Steep:
Black Roasted Barley 225g
Chocolate Malt 170g
Crystal 40 170g

My problem is that my lhbs doesnt carry Crystal 40. They only carry what they call Pale Crystal. Im not sure what the deg L is for it but i assume its ~10. I dont think it will make much difference in the color of the beer because the roasted barley and chocolate will probably overpower the crystal anyway, but I want to get the recipe as close as possible. Is there a good way to substitute the Crystal 40 with the Crystal 10?

Do they carry ANY darker crystals at all? Medium or dark? I'd prefer either of those over 10L.

The link you sent state color is EBC 90 - 110, which is about SRM 45-55, so you should be good.

Back