Nightmare IPA?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cshrode21

Reaction score
Would this be a total nightmare or could this work? Sorry I'm pretty new at doing my own recipes so I'm experimenting alot to learn more and it sometimes feels like a shot in the dark

Ingredients
5.50 lb Amber Dry Extract (12.5 SRM)
1.50 lb Extra Light Dry Extract (3.0 SRM)
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM)
0.25 lb Aromatic Malt (26.0 SRM)
0.13 lb Biscuit Malt (23.0 SRM)
0.13 lb Victory Malt (25.0 SRM)

Hop Schedule
0.50 oz Centennial - 60 min
0.50 oz Chinook - 50 min
0.50 oz Centennial - 40 min
0.50 oz Chinook - 30 min
1.00 oz Cascade - 10 min
1.00 oz Glacier - 2 min
1.00 oz Cascade - Dry Hop 10 days

Beer Profile
Est Original Gravity: 1.062 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.016 SG
Bitterness: 60.5 IBU
Est Color: 12.1 SRM

not sure what you mean by "could this work", but here's some thoughts on your recipe:

1) I haven't actually used Biscuit or Victory, but my understanding of them is taht they are pretty similar, so I would just collapse both amounts into one or the other. I might even collapse those with the Aromatic and just use one of the three. No need to muck up the grist with too much.

2) Ditch the Amber DME and just use Extra Light - get your color and flavor from the specialty grains. You have no idea what went into the Amber DME and since you went through the trouble of creating a recipe, you might as well be in as much control over what goes into the beer as possible.

3) No need for a 50 or 40 minute hop addition - just up your 60 minute addition to make up for those IBUs.

Other than that, i think the recipe looks good. Nice combo of late and dry hops (though perhaps a bit long on the dry hop, but maybe not). Good amount of crystal malt (assuming you ditch the Amber DME).

Thanks for the help. Its hard to figure out where to start sometimes. But lovin the process

Back