Dry hopping vs. adding at flame out

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArtVandelay

Reaction score
Last night I did a partial boil extract and got a bit drunk while doing it. Because of my drunkness I accidentally added all my LME at the start of the boil instead of doing a late addition. Doing this messed with my IBU I had calculated perfectly. Right after I realized my mistake I recalculated in Beersmith and figured if I threw the rest of my hops in for the rest of the boil, I'd get my IBU's back close to where I wanted them. To do this I had to sacrifice the hops for my 15 min addition and flame out addition. I thought this would be worth it since I have only one chance to get the bitterness and I could always just dry hop later for some more aroma.

So my question is, what really the difference in aroma/flavor between adding hops right at the end of the boil vs. dry hopping?

There are two factors: extraction and boil-off. A flavor add gives time to extract almost all hop oils, but the lighter ones are lost. Dry hopping only extracts the very lightest oils, but there's no boil-off.

Dry hopping is NOT a substitute for flavor/aroma and flameout adds. I learned this the hard way, years ago. Just like chocolate sprinkles on your cupcake do not make up for a lack of frosting. You can boil hops 5 minutes and add the tea to your fermenter. Read about "hop tea" for more info. "French press" is another good search term.

Back