Recommend a book

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MattHollingsworth

Reaction score
Books that pertain to beer, anyway!

Recommend a beer book that you like.

I'm currently reading Brew Like a Monk, about 2/3 of the way through it and can't recommend it enough. It's a really great book. Not so much a recipe book, though there are some of those. But it does a good job of outlining technique, ingredients, history and all sorts of info about Trappist, Trappist inspired, Belgian and Belgian inspired beers both in Belgium and the States. Nice one!

I think I'll be picking up Mosher's Radical Brewing next.

I'm reading Tasting Beer right now. Its great. If you like Brew Like a Monk, you would probably like Wild Brews too.

The best book I have read so far is Designing Great Beers by Ray Daniels. I am thinking of getting Radical Brewing next.

BLAM is something that I find I can dig back into every couple weeks....

Designing Great Beers is good if your interested in the various recipe components & a brief history of the styles detailed.
Radical Brewing is sort of the opposite in that it covers some more obscure styles and less conventional ingredients.
Wild Brews is great read if your into the details of lambics, flanders reds and browns, spontaneous fermentation, etc.

Yeah, Designing Great Beers is great. I bought it long ago, maybe ten years ago. The binding was destroyed on my copy long ago with pages coming out, so I tore it apart and put into a binder.

"secrets form the master brewers" is an excellent read as well as being very informative. it has in depth discussion on decocting, cask aging, lagering, and beer design. it also tells the story of several prominent brewers and how they got started.

http://www.amazon.com/Secrets-Master-Brewers-Professional-Homebrewing/dp/0684841908

It's got poor reviews at Amazon. I almost bought it till I read the reviews.

29 of 30 people found the following review helpful:
stars-1-0._V47060502_.gif
Good idea executed badly by people who don't seem to care., October 18, 1999
By A Customer

The authors of this book had a great idea: interview some legendary brewers and record their insights in a book. Unfortunately, these authors appear not to care a whit about their readers or whoever uses the recipes in this book. Do not use the recipes in this book without consulting an authority on brewing. Mistakes, editorial and authorial, abound. You can look through this and their other book, Homebrewers Recipe Manual or somesuch, and pinpoint obvious mistakes in Original Gravity, Amounts, and practices.

Examples: 1.75 pounds of roasted barley and 2 ounces of chinooks in a 5 gallon batch of "sweet stout"? More like "briquette stout". .25 of an *ounce* of particular grain in a 10 gallon batch? Imperceptible.

I called one of the brewers interviewed in this book because the advice given was unclear and poorly written. He was also disgusted with the authors, but gave me excellent advice, despite the interference of the authors.

I have learned some good things from this book, but the carelessness with which it was thrown together calls all of its information into question. Don't buy it.

If you want to read a book about beer in america, Maureen Ogle's Fantastic book on the History of beer in America, Ambitious Brew: The Story of America Beer

It covers everything from the migration of the Buschs, the Miller's, etc fro Germany until the 80's THEN it goes into a good deal about the history of CRAFT BREWING...so it's a pretty good into to beer history and culture as a whole.

5194HaN2BoL._SL500_.jpg

A Pitcher Is Worth a Thousand Words
A review by Doug Brown

There is a myth among us beer snobs about the history of beer in America. It goes something like this: everyone used to drink full-bodied beers up until prohibition. After prohibition, the big brewers took over the industry, flooding the market with weak beer made more from rice than barley, because rice is cheaper. They aggressively drove everyone else out of business, and so now Americans drink this limpid swill because they don't have a choice. It makes a great story, particularly for fans of hearty ales and microbrews. The only problem is, as Ogle lays out in this fascinating history, the myth is almost completely untrue.

The first brewers in America were German, and made German style-lagers that were indeed much heartier than today's big brews (think Paulaner Salvator). However, these brewers had two troubles selling their beer. One was consistency; it was hard to make the same beer with the same flavor batch after batch. The other was that nobody other than German immigrants liked this style of beer; it was heavy, calorie rich, and not particularly refreshing on a hot day. For cities with large German populations, like Chicago and New York, this was fine. For everyone else, a new type of beer was needed.

The answer was found in Bohemia (today's Czech Republic), in the town of Plzn (also known as Pils). Folks here made a light lager, perfect after a hard day's work. This style was brought back to America, and named pilsener after its town of origin. Except there was a problem. You can't make pilsener with American six-row barley, because it's too protein rich. You end up with unprecipitated blobs of protein, sort of like drinking a lava lamp. Brewers toiled away and found a solution: mix the barley with adjuncts like white corn and rice. Here's where part of the myth dies -- rice is more expensive than barley. Yes, the big brewers use rice not to save money, but because it makes better beer. This new American style of pilsener was immensely popular, and the thick German-style lagers all but vanished (we're still back in the mid-late 1800s, by the way).

Then a friend of brewer Adolphus Busch asked for a special beer to supplement his wine dealership. The friend, Carl Conrad, had learned of a beer made in Budweis, a town in Bohemia. The Budweis-style beer that Busch crafted for his friend used Saaz hops from Germany and rice as an adjunct. It was more expensive to make than most other American beers. It was lighter in color, and subtler in flavor. The two named it after the town of origin: Budweiser. And the rest, as they say, is history. The new brew was a huge hit with American palates. Imitators sprang up, and soon most of the successful breweries were making a Budweis-style pilsener.

Breweries in large cities had all the business they needed within a couple miles of the brewery, so had little need to expand. Brewers in smaller cities like Milwaukee and St. Louis had to transport their beer elsewhere to expand their markets. As they shipped to more and more distant cities, their capacities grew. Thus, the fact that these cities didn't have large local markets ironically became the reason most of the major brewers were located there (similarly true later on for Coors). Big brewers also introduced assembly line automation decades before Henry Ford supposedly invented the concept.

In the late 1800s a temperance movement started gaining momentum. Interestingly, lager was previously not considered alcoholic, as it only had a 3.2 percent alcohol content. By the end of World War I, the movement was powerful enough to push through a constitutional amendment, and prohibition was born. Only the brewers with deep enough pockets were able to survive, though some eked along by brewing soft drinks or selling yeast. When prohibition was repealed over ten years later, the number of players in the field had been considerably reduced.

The next thirty or forty years were times of further consolidation. As more brewers fell on hard times due to decreased alcohol consumption by Americans, the larger brewers bought up the smaller ones -- or the smaller ones just went under. By the 1960s, there were few breweries left. Then the big breweries turned to marketing in a way they never had, tying in beer with sports, using clever mascots (remember the Hamm's bear, from "The land of sky blue waters"?), and doing everything else to get Americans drinking beer again. It worked for a while, but soon a subset of the fickle American palate wanted something other than Budweiser.

Enter a guy named Fritz Maytag, who in 1965 bought a defunct brewery in San Francisco called Anchor. After trying to sell the same kind of beer Anchor had been making, Maytag found out why the brewery had gone under. Once again, a new kind of beer was needed. He turned to ale, and made a brew called Anchor Steam. Restaurateurs loved it. The microbrew boom was born.

Today drinkers have a wider variety of beers to choose from than ever. The big breweries still dominate the business with their pilseners, but not because people don't have a choice. The majority of American beer drinkers really do like the light flavor. Go figure. The big breweries got big by caring about consistency, and using more expensive ingredients than the cheap malts and hops used by failed brewers. In short, they survived for all the of the same reasons people like craft beer today. I won't be switching from Deschutes to Bud anytime soon, but Ogle has diminished my dislike of the big brewers no small task, that. Whatever type of beer you prefer, Ambitious Brew makes for good reading while quaffing your favorite. Along with Ken Wells's entertaining romp Travels with Barley, this is highly recommended for any beer fans on your gift list (including yourself).

If you want a healthy dose of brewing science, then I recommend George Fix's Principles of Brewing Science, second edition. It's pretty heady material, and I gloss over nearly all of the chemical reaction diagrams, but it's given me a better understanding of what's going on when I brew.

On a more practical note, I like Terry Foster's Pale Ale, second edition-- it's a very thorough treatise on a style I really like.

-Steve

I finally plunked down for a copy of Palmer's How To Brew, since I've used the online earlier edition so much. As brewing manuals go, it's the one to have. I know most of you have it, but as a desktop reference for the homebrewer, I'm not sure it can be beat.

I'm reading " A Year of Beer" 260 Seasonal Homebrew Recipes by Turczyn.

Chapters are divided into the four seasons, based on the best or most traditional season to brew and enjoy a particular style, such as barely wine for winter, lambic for spring, weizen for summer, and brown ale for fall. Each chapter has a description of a beer style and recipes for brewers of every level -- from extract to all-grain. Turczyn includes brewer's instructions and, when available, judges' comments.

If you dont have controlled ferment temps this book is great cause it helps you brew a particular beer at the right time depending on how long it needs aging.

If you want a healthy dose of brewing science, then I recommend George Fix's Principles of Brewing Science, second edition. It's pretty heady material, and I gloss over nearly all of the chemical reaction diagrams, but it's given me a better understanding of what's going on when I brew.

I like This Fix book too, but like an Analysis of Brewing Technique better myself.

Quote:
29 of 30 people found the following review helpful:
Good idea executed badly by people who don't seem to care., October 18, 1999
By A Customer

The authors of this book had a great idea: interview some legendary brewers and record their insights in a book. Unfortunately, these authors appear not to care a whit about their readers or whoever uses the recipes in this book. Do not use the recipes in this book without consulting an authority on brewing. Mistakes, editorial and authorial, abound. You can look through this and their other book, Homebrewers Recipe Manual or somesuch, and pinpoint obvious mistakes in Original Gravity, Amounts, and practices.

Examples: 1.75 pounds of roasted barley and 2 ounces of chinooks in a 5 gallon batch of "sweet stout"? More like "briquette stout". .25 of an *ounce* of particular grain in a 10 gallon batch? Imperceptible.

I called one of the brewers interviewed in this book because the advice given was unclear and poorly written. He was also disgusted with the authors, but gave me excellent advice, despite the interference of the authors.

I have learned some good things from this book, but the carelessness with which it was thrown together calls all of its information into question. Don't buy it.
I have never used any recipes from the book. i liked the stories about how they took their hobby and turned it into a profession. i also like the opinions on decocting and the specific discussions about different styles and what is/is not appropriate for the grain bills, hop schedules, ferment temps. etc...

the actual recipes did look incomplete in some spots, but the content is great. i highly reccommend it.

How to Brew gets a big thumbs up from me.

Brewing Classic Styles, Jamil & Palmer was very good - nice recipes

Joy of Homebrewing was not for me.

Radical Brewing was too far out for me in my "early stages" of brewing career.

+1 on How to Brew. I couldn't put it down until I got to the All-Grain section, and only stopped because I'm not prepared to move to that step. It seems like its going to make a great reference, and I would recommend it to anybody new to the craft. I'm currently reading Brewing Up a Business by Sam Caligione. It's not exactly a great book about brewing beer, but it is interesting to read about how he did what he did with Dogfish Head.

I also recommend Radical brewing. But I disagree that it's too "far out" for a beginner. The later chapters in the book are quite advanced (e.g. stein beer anyone !?!). But the earlier chapters are approachable for newer homebrewers. And the recipes, which are numerous are fantastic. Highly recommend it.

Sam Calagione's Brewing Up a Business is a great read. I read that book in 2 days. It is all about business but I find that he is personal in his writing. I think that some of the book is applicable in everyday life.:mug:

I really love Designing Great Beers by Ray Daniels for recipes formulating. But for brewing information, i recomand Handbook of Brewing Second edition by Fergus G. Priest abd Graham G. Stewart(but expensive).

Designing Great Beers was great, as was Brewing Classic Styles. Another that I enjoyed quite a bit was Ultimate Beer by Michael Jackson. Quite a good perspective on beer as a whole, not just brewing.

If you started brewing back in the 80's and want a good read that you will appreciate, I highly recommend Making Beer, by William Mares. It's out of print, but you can find used ones on Amazon.com

518205E2S9L._SS500_.jpg

My Mother-in-law gave me this book back in 1987 and it changed my life. It's humorous and for the old farts, it will bring back memories.

For the Noobs, it will tell you how we used to do it in a humorous way.

The author is a journalist and award winning homebrewer so it is well written and the illustrations are great.

Many Homebrew books are great reference material. Making Beer by William Mares goes to the heart of why we are here online, communicating with noobs and experts alike.

It's a great book for any skill level just for reading pleasure. If you don't have it yet, snatch up a used one while you can. You will thank me later.

Cheers,

EdWort

Last edited by a moderator:

I do not recommend this book. Although it is informative and will give a more in-depth understanding of brewing, the author's amatuer approach to biochemisty makes it difficult to read to those formally educated in even undergraduate chemistry courses. Problem is that this book is advertised as a science text (biology/chemistry by nature), yet the author's PhD is in Mathematics.

I just finished Fermenting Revolution. Meh. I'm planning on writing a longer review at BOV, but the gist is that it really didn't tell me anything I didn't already know, ie 'local is better for the environment, big corporations suck, beer is awesome.'

I'm currently reading Hops and Glory, which is fantastic. A guy decides to further research the story we all tell each other about how IPAs came to be and then make the journey himself with a 4 gal cask of a traditional recipe. It's history, beer, funny and very very British, so that's like 100% of what I want in a book. Oh and it has footnotes, so 125%.

I didn't see anyone mention Sam Calagione's "Extreme Brewing." It's not super deep but it has good info and a variety of recipes.

I got it from my father last year for Christmas. It's a beautiful book and good info. I was bummed that all the recipes are extract only.

I got it from my father last year for Christmas. It's a beautiful book and good info. I was bummed that all the recipes are extract only.

I did not know they are extract only. I think I'm going to have to look in to getting that. I have not moved up to AG yet, and am looking to make a few more unique styles.

I did not know they are extract only. I think I'm going to have to look in to getting that. I have not moved up to AG yet, and am looking to make a few more unique styles.

Well the ones I flipped to were, maybe there are some AG in there, but I didn't see them off the bat.

It really is a pretty book though, makes a nice coffee table book for nonbrewers to flip through and get excited about beer.

I'm currently reading The Brewmaster's Bible: The Gold Standard for Homebrewers
By Stephen Snyder. I really like the book and the massive list of unique recipes.

If you started brewing back in the 80's and want a good read that you will appreciate, I highly recommend Making Beer, by William Mares. It's out of print, but you can find used ones on Amazon.com

518205E2S9L._SS500_.jpg

My Mother-in-law gave me this book back in 1987 and it changed my life. It's humorous and for the old farts, it will bring back memories.

For the Noobs, it will tell you how we used to do it in a humorous way.

The author is a journalist and award winning homebrewer so it is well written and the illustrations are great.

Many Homebrew books are great reference material. Making Beer by William Mares goes to the heart of why we are here online, communicating with noobs and experts alike.

It's a great book for any skill level just for reading pleasure. If you don't have it yet, snatch up a used one while you can. You will thank me later.

Cheers,

EdWort

Heh... I have this book, but an earlier (possibly first?) edition. I haven't read it in YEARS, so it might be fun to dust it off and give it a gander.

And no, mine is not for sale...

Had some books arrive:

Radical Brewing.
Brewing Classic Styles.
Wild Brews.

Skimmed Brewing Classic Styles, which looks pretty good. And started a full read of Radical Brewing, which has started out great already. Nice stuff.

Anybody else pick up any recommended books?

The Brewmaster's Table: Discovering the Pleasures of Real Beer with Real Food by Garret Oliver.

This is a great book that talks about food and beer pairing. It goes through each style of beer individually, and talks a bit about history, flavor profile, and how to pair them.

Hey we've gotta eat too!

I can back up this opinion. I found this book at a used book store and although it's a very interesting read, I would not use it for anything other than pleasure reading.

I did enjoy the stories and opinions on brewing form the contributors, but it's also a bit dated too. I had to remind myself that craft brewing is not in the infancy stage anymore!

Since I've read it through twice, I would not feel bad about passing it on to anyone else who wants a read. Just PM me your address.

I also own:

The Compleat Joy of Homebrewing - Charlie Papzian.
Great starting book. Good advice in easy to understand format and lots of encouragement. RDWHAHB!

How to Brew - John Palmer.
THE basic reference book IMO. Lots of good info, and although a little drier than Papazian's book, a solid brewing manual with lots of good reference material.

Radical Brewing - Randy Mosher.
An entertaining guide for the more adventurous brewers out there. Mosher writes with a style that makes it hard to put down. Lots of comments and notes to keep your interest, and some solid thought-provoking ideas that I imagine are intended to kick-start your creativity.

Tasting Beer - Randy Mosher.
Not a brewing book per se., but a very entertaining read! I highly recommend it for anyone who likes to drink beer. Humourous, and witty, and loaded with facts and quips. Very well written, and enjoyable!

Designing Great Beers - Ray Daniels.
So far a nice reference to beer styles and something that I could see myself pulling out for guidelines on specific beer styles as my brewing continues. Not as entertaining as some of the others, but well put together and valuable to brewers nonetheless. I have not finished it, and in fact found myself skipping through the different styles as needed.

Radical Brewing is an awesome read:
Amazon.com: Radical Brewing: Recipes, Tales and World-Altering Meditations in a Glass (9780937381830): Randy Mosher: Books

But the most for your dollar you get from the BYO magazine issue "150 Classic Clone Recipes":
Brew Your Own: The How-To Homebrew Beer Magazine - 150 Classic Clone Recipes
I bought 3 copies of this issue; one fell apart long time ago, one is on my coffee table, and one is in my car (in case I get an urge to brew while at work and I have to stop in my LHBS on the way home :) )

Back