Need Assistance

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

efgilley

Reaction score
Well here goes...This is my second attempt and I think I am doing something wrong.
Recipe:
Honey Brown Ale
1/2 lbs Dark Crystal
1/2 Chocolate Malt
4-6lbs Amber malt and Northen Brewer Hops (premixed)
Ahtanum Hops for Flavoring
Cascade Hoops for aroma
Granulated Brewing Honey
Doric Ale Yeast (1 package)

I brought 2 gallons of water to 170 then removed the grains, I then boiled everything for the required time.
Mistake 1: LHBS suggested that I syphon my wort into my fermenter. I picked up some hot break in the process and I think some hop pellets got through.

I pitched the yeast after placing it in 70 water and allowing it to sit covered for 10 minutes. Everything went off like clockwork and then...Yesterday (day 6) I came to a rotten egg smell. I checked again today and the airlock was not bubbling. The OG was 1.46 and is now 1.21...so I transfered to secondary.

I am a sanitation freak...I have mixed the proper proportions of Iodophor and everything rests in it until I use it.

My Equipment is all brand new, SO I am ok or am I drinking nasty beer in a few months?
(sorry about the massive amount of information, but I know you guys want to know the whole story).

:(

I'm working on a Honey Brown recipe right now and from the info I've gathered the real 'honey flavor' will come from using Honey Malt, not necessarily honey as a fermentable. I plan on using both, honey malt and honey. I don't know from experience what to expect (flavor wise), but I will let you know in about 6 weeks.

In your first attempt, was it the flavor that was the problem? Did you get the same smell with your first attempt? I guess all these questions aren't helping you much, but I am kind of jumping on your post to gather information for my next batch to get a more experienced answer.

The rotten egg smell is sulphur- is it still there, or is it gone? How does the beer taste?

It really sounds ok in spite of the sulphur smell. It should be fine.

Did you boil with the lid on? Sulphur compounds boil off in the steam while brewing.

I think it's DMS that boils off- sulphur is usuallly a fermentation smell. It almost always goes away after fermentation, though.

Be patient- it might come around!

UPDATE...after transfer to secondary the smell is still slightly present and almost has a bright overtone. The taste was OK, but it was hard to overcome the smell.

After reading several websites, threads, online books, etc. I have come to the conclusion that a sulfur smell might not be a bad thing.

What generic trouble shooting resources do you all use?

FYI: I didn't boil with a lid and I used Brewers granulated honey, if that helps anyone.

It's good that you didn't dump your beer in frustration. Many times, more often that not, time will improve your beer, even when you think it is ****e. Well done for researching the sulphur smell--you probably know more than me about that now. :)

Keep us posted on the progress and how it turns out!

I would never dump beer in frustration. I grew up drinking bad beer, so I will manage!
The smell is still present, but I will deal and buy clothespins for my nose when I drink it.:cross:

Latest posts

Back