Wyeast Yeast Nutrient Rocks!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mobilecabinworks

Reaction score
I have been using Safale US-05 for 3 brews and this 3rd one I added Wyeast Yeast Nutrient to the boil per the instructions. I am now a ferm (hehe) believer in nutrient, specificially Wyeast's nutrient. My krausen is HUGE and my 3/8" blowoff hose is just a constant stream of bubbles. At a monthly homebrew meeting I was able to speak to a gentleman that works for Wyeast and he was talking about their nutrient and gave me a run down of everything in their nutrient and the needs of yeast in their life cycle. Smart guy.

I haven't used any other nutrients, but this stuff is rocking my yeasts' world! I will be adding this to all my brews from now on.

Yup, its good stuff at a reasonable price. White Labs is just a little too pricey for me and I don't know that what it does is so fantastic that it can justify the added expense when I get solid results from Wyeast nutrients.

I always use the Wyeast nutrients in my starters and in the wort. I think it makes a difference, and it's cheap!

me too, and i really think it helps out. it's really affordable, i think it's like $5-7 for a vial and they seem to last, it's not something i have to replace often at all and i brew quite often. :mug:

When I was talking to the gent from Wyeast he was telling me about how much more stuff is in their nutrient over the other brands they have run tests against. Works for me.

Its my understanding that yeast nutrient is mostly just dead yeast and provides all the nutrients that the yeast need which may or may not be present i the wort. I use it in my starters and my ciders(to keep the smell down).

When I switched to using a stir plate and yeast nutrients, my beer got better...at least in my mind.

But are additional nutrients really needed in wort?

I religiously use Wyeast Yeast Nutrient when I brew and have for years. I have strong fermentation with each batch. However, I personally believe that my success has more to do with my preparing a strong starter for each batch rather than the yeast nutrient. I too think of the yeast nutrient as "cheap insurance" but there is no substitution for having a good starter...

I think there is enough research to quantify the effectiveness of nutrients or White Labs and Wyeast wouldn't make them. Even if the research is minimal, I feel that with your yeast being the single most important thing in your beer, why not hedge your bet and pamper them? :)

At a monthly homebrew meeting I was able to speak to a gentleman that works for Wyeast and he was talking about their nutrient and gave me a run down of everything in their nutrient and the needs of yeast in their life cycle. Smart guy.

I just joined OBC in Portland (moved here this summer) and I see the Feb meeting will have a Wyeast employee (and also club member) give a talk.

Thanks for the info on your experience with this, I will give it a try myself.

Back