Rhubarb Mead - how much rhubarb?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mathematics

Reaction score
Got 6 bags full of rhubarb from a friend, any idea how much rhubarb it would take for a rhubarb based mead?

I was thinking I would also add strawberrys or raspberrys, or go a different route & make a cyser with lots of cinnamon - kind of an apple-rhubarb pie flavor.

Any ideas appreciated, I am a noob to mead!

Yooper's got a Rhubarb Wine recipe that uses 3lbs per gallon. I think something in that ballpark might be a good jumping off point, but I don't speak from experience.

Yeah, the rhubarb wine with 3 pounds per gallon is about right.

I have 6 gallons now of a different recipe I tried in 2008. It was from Jack Keller and used 7 pounds per gallon. It's awful. Unless you love rhubarb beyond all reason. Even then, it's a golden light color that screams RHUBARB at you when you attempt to take a sip. Even two years later, it's not good. I was figuring that the 3 pounds wasn't quite enough, but in retrospect I think it was right. Rhubarb has oxalic acid that can be precipitated out with calcium carbonate, but it really didn't help with my 7 pounds per gallon recipe. With the 3 pounds per gallon, it wasn't even necessary, but you may want to do it if you want a delicate mead. I can't remember the details, but a little calcium carbonate will work on the rhubarb juice to bind with the oxalic acid to give the rhubarb a better taste in the wine.

So, I'd say 3 pounds would give you a distinct but slight rhubarb flavor. 2 pounds would be less perceptible, and may mean you don't even have the "oxalic acid bite".

Back