How would this look for an IPA?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gcarter

Reaction score
How would this look for an all-extract IPA?

Brew Method: Extract
Boil Time: 60 min
Batch Size: 23 liters (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 11 liters
Boil Gravity: 1.130

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.062
Final Gravity: 1.012
ABV (standard): 6.63%
IBU (tinseth): 43.62
SRM (morey): 11.15

FERMENTABLES:
2 kg - Dry Malt Extract - Amber (50%)
1 kg - Dry Malt Extract - Dark (25%)
0.5 kg - Corn Sugar - Dextrose (12.5%)
0.5 kg - Dry Malt Extract - Wheat (12.5%)

HOPS:
56 g - Galena, Type: Pellet, AA: 13, Use: Boil for 60 min, IBU: 38.96
28 g - Amarillo, Type: Pellet, AA: 8.6, Use: Boil for 5 min, IBU: 2.57
28 g - Cascade, Type: Pellet, AA: 7, Use: Boil for 5 min, IBU: 2.09
28 g - Amarillo, Type: Pellet, AA: 8.6, Use: Dry Hop for 7 days
28 g - Cascade, Type: Pellet, AA: 7, Use: Dry Hop for 7 days

YEAST:
Fermentis / Safale - American Ale Yeast US-05

Replace the dark extract with amber or gold, and increase the finishing hops.

Roast flavors have no place in IPAs, and 4 ozs of finishing hops in ~6 gallons is pretty low.

I agree with the above.

I'd replace all of your dark/ambers with extra-light or Pilsen DME.

For comparison. My IPA's usually have 9-10 ounces of hops. 3-4 of those are dry-hopped.

So out of curiosity, then, freely admitting that this was the result of playing around without any clue as to what I am doing ( :) ) what would you call something like this? How do you think it would turn out?

So out of curiosity, then, freely admitting that this was the result of playing around without any clue as to what I am doing ( :) ) what would you call something like this? How do you think it would turn out?

Playing around in Brewer's Friend, I put those ingredients in and this is what they say you could classify the beer as:

English IPA, American IPA, Belgian Specialty Ale, Old Ale, Fruit Beer, Spice, Herb, or Vegetable Beer, Holiday/Winter Special Spiced Beer, Other Smoked Beer, Wood-Aged Beer, Specialty Beer

Yeah, some of those just don't make any sense.

:fro:

Replace Galena w/ Magnum and cut ibu in half.
Stagger the cascade / amarillo starting at 30.
adjust to get the majority of your IBU from late additions.
Dry hop for 3-5 days

I can't comment on the extract .

Your later hop additions are similar to one I've got on tap at the moment. I think I had similar quantities of hops, but my batch was smaller. Might have got 12 or 13 litres in the keg by the end (need to upgrade my kettle). It tastes good, fruity, hoppy.

Again, dunno about the extracts.

do people consider 45 ibu's to be Ipa ?

mostly what i see in the craft selection i thought was 60+

i aimed for 50 in my current brew (admittedly more of a porter)

:mug:
do people consider 45 ibu's to be Ipa ?

mostly what i see in the craft selection i thought was 60+

i aimed for 50 in my current brew (admittedly more of a porter)

Theoretically (and per BJCP), yes.

Amongst those East Coast pu**ies, maybe :D

On the West Coast, 45 IBU is but a mildly bitter pale.

That might be something like a porter, I don't really know how truly "roasty" the dark DME is. I guess I might call that recipe a "dark pale" or a "light amber"?

And Cascade and Amarillo are easily within my top 20 or 25 favorite hops, so hellz yeah, I'd drink it, too!

OK, not an IPA, but I decided to do this yesterday:

Brew Method: Extract
Boil Time: 15 min
Batch Size: 23 liters (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 15 liters
Boil Gravity: 1.032

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.057
Final Gravity: 1.011
ABV (standard): 6.03%
IBU (tinseth): 57.73
SRM (morey): 11.74

FERMENTABLES:
1.35 kg - Dry Malt Extract - Amber (37.5%)
1.35 kg - Dry Malt Extract - Dark - (late addition) (37.5%)
0.45 kg - Corn Sugar - Dextrose - (late addition) (12.5%)
0.45 kg - Dry Malt Extract - Wheat - (late addition) (12.5%)

HOPS:
56 g - Galena, Type: Pellet, AA: 13, Use: Boil for 15 min, IBU: 47.46
56 g - Cascade, Type: Pellet, AA: 7, Use: Boil for 5 min, IBU: 10.27
56 g - Amarillo, Type: Pellet, AA: 8.6, Use: Dry Hop for 7 days

YEAST:
Fermentis / Safale - American Ale Yeast US-05

Did a 15 minute boil, used 15 liters instead of 11, and started with only 3 lbs / 1.35 kg of DME so it would pick up bitterness from the initial hops quicker and hopefully retain more of the flavour. Did the amber and dark in equal amounts.

IC brought it down to ~70F in 25 minutes.

I measured OG @ 1.054, so off slightly from expected. Rehydrated yeast before pitching. Fermentation was active this morning. I don't have temperature control, ambient is 69F, currently fermenting at 74F, a bit on the higher side but still in range.

Smells good so far :)

EDIT: BTW, all DME is Breiss

I would keep the yeast and the boil about the same. Perhaps add half of your finsihing hops at like 15 minutes and then the other half at five. Also switch out the amber and dark extract...this will make it way too dark. Use three kg of light mat extract, also replace the dextrine with some speciality grains, perhaps a little vienna malt. That will give you a little roastiness but not too much to leave the style.

After all of that, it sat in primary for 13 days, racked to secondary and added the Amarillo straight away. Left in secondary for 10 days with the hops and bottled tonight. FG is 1.008, so ABV calcs to 6.03%.

It has a nice flavour so far, but I'm not very good at judging a warm uncarbonated beer. FWIW, SWMBO and my son both like it. It will be close to a month before it gets a proper tasting as I am going on vacation for 2 weeks in just under 2 weeks. Timing is perfect.

Back