quick fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

haris

Reaction score
Hey everyone.

I'm making my first batch of Amber Ale and just had some quick questions to make sure I'm doing everything right.

I'm brewing an amber ale (extract and partial grain) and my fermentation started within 8 hours. I put the wort to ferment on midnight and my airlock was bubbling every second the next morning. It's been 5 days now, the fermentation seems as if it's stopped. Barely any bubbling at all. I took a gravity reading and it gave me 1.015 (which is about right as of now). I'm planning on putting it in secondary in about 2 days.

The wort seems to have fermented pretty nicely. Has nice scent and taste to it so far.

My question is, is this pretty normal that the fermentation started so quickly? If so will I be safe to put it in secondary in two days

edit: my FG should be 1.008 to 1.012

haris said:
Hey everyone.

I'm making my first batch of Amber Ale and just had some quick questions to make sure I'm doing everything right.

I'm brewing an amber ale (extract and partial grain) and my fermentation started within 8 hours. I put the wort to ferment on midnight and my airlock was bubbling every second the next morning. It's been 5 days now, the fermentation seems as if it's stopped. Barely any bubbling at all. I took a gravity reading and it gave me 1.015 (which is about right as of now). I'm planning on putting it in secondary in about 2 days.

The wort seems to have fermented pretty nicely. Has nice scent and taste to it so far.

My question is, is this pretty normal that the fermentation started so quickly? If so will I be safe to put it in secondary in two days

you want 3 straight days of the same gravity. If you achieve that...You can transfer.

Yeah I took the reading today and will do so tomorrow and Wednesday, and if everything looks good I'm thinking of transferring.

But I still wanted to know if such early fermentation that ended pretty quickly is OK.

haris said:

Its normal. You will be fine racking to secondary in two days.

Every fermentation is different but what you describe sounds completely normal to me. A few things to keep in mind:

1) some fermentations can complete within 48 hours
2) bubbling in the airlock is not a reliable indication of fermentation activity; bubbling may stop yet fermentation is continuing
3) extract beers often finish at a higher OG than what is listed due to unfermentable sugars in the extract.

I have had fermentations take off at about 8 hours and done within 48. If you get a good active strain of yeast it's possible. Sometimes you just hit that sweet spot and the little fermenting boys hit the ground running. You notice over time that different beers and yeast have different characteristics. After 3 days of little to no change in gravity, your good to go into secondary...

Happy drinking!

Latest posts

Back