How much blueberry extract??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pa-in-utah

Reaction score
before I post the thread........ I have read about the "soapy taste", I have read the posts about never using it again..... I have read a lot of posts on this topic, BUT no clear answer....... It all depends on tatse. Well great, but I have never used fruit extrract so my knowledge and taste buds are"dead" to this subject...

Please help me. I am bottling tomorrow and not sure how much extract to use. I brewed a hefe and plan to bottle 1/2 straight up. The other half, gonna add blueberry extract and bottle some.... Then add some more extract to finish the last few bottles. Any advice on how much to use? I have read 2 oz for 5 gallons. Doesn't seem that will really be enough. I have read people using 4 oz and wanting to stab themselves....... Please help me!!! :mug:

I tried my own boysenberry wheat beer for SWMBO. Its been 2 weeks in the keg. We tried it the other day, When i brewed it I added 2 oz of extract, we both agree it needed more. So the next time i make it im going to try 3 oz. It really depends on how strong you want it

For the summer I brew a blueberry wheat, and I usually add the suggested 2oz for 5 gallons. I put mine in at secondary, and it tasted strong at kegging (3 weeks or so later), but after another three weeks in the keg it tasted very good.

The blueberry flavoring isn't too overpowering, but you certainly wouldn't miss it either. I wouldn't want it any stronger. Personal preference, I guess.

i actually just did this.
I did one half batch raspberry and the other blueberry. I added 2 oz to 2 1/2 gallons, and that was plenty of blueberry taste. I wouldnt add more than about 3 to 3.5 oz to 5 gallons hefe.

I bottled half straight hefe. Then I added 1 oz to 2 1/2 gallons. Then I added another .3 oz to the last 1 1/4 gallons. Ended up with this....

25 bottles of straight hefe
12 bottles .3% blueberry (per directions on extract bottle)
11 bottles of .5% blueberry (could taste the blueberry in these)

Will the blueberry flavor come through more after bottle conditioning?

I wouldn't use the extract at all... use real blueberries! I'm making a Blueberry Wheat now actually. It's in Primary right now, and when done, it will be transferred to a Secondary with a can of Oregon's Blueberries (already sterile). It will probably sit on the berries for a week of two, then bottle.

5gB

Back