First competition, and I placed!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tall_Yotie

Reaction score
Turned in 6 brews, a mix of ones I brewed on my own and ones brewed with my father in law. Was for the San Mateo County Fair.

Got two First Place ribbons and two Third Place ribbons!

One judge gave my brew 39 points, so that I think is pretty damned good!

The other two had suffered from the heat wave unfortunately, and had gotten off flavors that I didn't learn of until after I submitted them. And those got good marks except for the notes that I knew were wrong, so yay for that too!

All in all I figure that is a good run! Only been brewing for a year and a half, so I figure I am doing something right!

Congrats, man! I just learned that I placed in my first competition too (1st, 2nd, or 3rd for the style, will find out which at the awards ceremony) ! Best of luck in the future!

Congrats, man! I just learned that I placed in my first competition too (1st, 2nd, or 3rd for the style, will find out which at the awards ceremony) ! Best of luck in the future!

I'll see you at the awards ceremony. I live in the US but was on a work trip to Japan and judged the competition and BOS. I am going back out this weekend for another trip and am attending the awards.

Congrats.

Wow remilard, Thanks for coming all the way out here! It'll be great to meet you!

@Tall_Yotie, so what were the beers that placed? tell us more! tell us more!

Wow remilard, Thanks for coming all the way out here! It'll be great to meet you!

@Tall_Yotie, so what were the beers that placed? tell us more! tell us more!

Belgian Dubbel got 3rd; was a bit past its prime was the only down marks.

Chili Chocolate Stout got 3rd; Dry Stout with smoked chipolata and cocoa, with a dash of salt. Base recipe was borrow from a friend so can't share, but will dig up the amount of spicing, as that is the real important part.

Belgian Spiced got 1st; Belgian Dubbel with cinnamon, coriander and juniper berries.

RIS with Molasses got 1st; Specialty Beer category. Only down markings were that the hops were not as present, but I believe the molasses masked that a bit. Link to the recipe:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/rabbit-slayer-tasty-rich-imp-stout-230138/

Read through the couple replies for updates to the recipe.

Back