Swamp cooler -- w

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heywolfie1015

Reaction score
I brewed up a witbier yesterday and was a little worried about the weather out here, so put together a pseudo-swamp cooler. I had a really deep roller cooler, so was able to get the water level up near the top of the fermenter. No t-shirt over the bucket, but I figured it would probably work well enough. Threw in a frozen water bottle and left it until we got back from dinner last night. Threw in another one and went to bed.

When I got up this morning, I checked the thermometer and the fermenter is at 68 degrees! Last time I fermented in the same heat and same room, my pale ale was at an internal 81 degrees those first few days. I was expecting a few degrees difference, but this is ridiculous (in a good way).

My wife officially loves you guys because I've stopped constantly complaining about the possible off flavors and don't want to always run the A/C. So, uh, thanks for saving my marriage? :D

Back