Brown Porter with added coffee

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shoemaker27

Reaction score
So after trying a fantastic brown porter at a local brewpub (Long Valley) I was told they add coffee to the porter to give it that nice roasted taste.

I have a brown porter extract kit from morebeer.com and was wondering if anyone had suggestions about adding coffee (how much, when to add it, what kind)......Previous stories of coffee mixing with brewing welcomed. Thanks for the help.

I am drinking a coffee porter right now. I brewed 1lb of coffee with an aerobie press (Aerobie® AeroPress(TM) Coffee & Espresso Maker). By the way, that is the only way to brew coffee. So smoth & delicious, no bitter taste at all. It makes a brew that is in between coffe & and expresso. I then dumped it into the primary. It is very good. I was a bit worrid about using 1lb, but it is actaully not overpowreing at all. I have it served on Nitro tap.

I have also heard of cold steeping the coffee in the fridge, or placing the beans in the secondary.

Jeff

I just made a Stout with 2to coffees.

I suggest add a small amount 1 or 2 oz to begin with a flame out.

Then you can also "dry hop" with more coffee.

My Grandmas Breakfast Oatmeal Stout used 4 oz of Sumatran at flame out and 4 oz of Kona as a dry hop. This is a BIG brew so you might want to cut it down a little.

Search for "cold steeping coffee" on google....my buddy does this with great results. Strong, strong coffee flavor without bitterness, and you don't have to dump in gallons of it because it's "concentrated"

Palmer suggests to steep .25 to .5lb of ground coffee in 1-2 qts of water in the fridge for 24 hours, then strain through a coffee filter and add coffee liquid to the 2ndary.

I would add to boil your water 1st, to sanitize and drive off chlorine. I don't think nasties could live in the PH of the h20/coffee solution if you don't boil though..

I used this method last weekend when racking my oatmeal stout from my primary to secondary. The sample I tasted after adding the coffee tasted great!

I did half a pound of coarsely crushed starbucks french roast at flame out with a 20 minute steep - Awesome porter! Very noticible, but not overpowering. Still plenty of maltiness and some hop profile. If you want more subtle, go for half that.

Latest posts

Back