Fat Tire Replica!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blackwaterbrewer

Reaction score
i have finally done it. i have duplicated fat tire. it is so close, that it would take a true master taster/brewer know the difference. should i keep the recipe a secret or should i blackmail new belgium? what if i told them i would keep the recipe secret if they will send me one of those awesome fat tire bikes?

yes, youre right. they probably wouldn't give a shiit.

They would probably say.."Who Cares. The Dude already did it and IrregularPulse has already made 15Gallons of his recipe this year" :p

But good job. One of those bikes would be awesome.
I'm am curious to your recipe though to compare to the one I've been using.

i have finally done it. i have duplicated fat tire. it is so close, that it would take a true master taster/brewer know the difference. should i keep the recipe a secret or should i blackmail new belgium? what if i told them i would keep the recipe secret if they will send me one of those awesome fat tire bikes?

yes, youre right. they probably wouldn't give a shiit.

Did you use the Fat Tire Ale Yeast strain? My FT clone is certainly different in that it has a stronger flavor but I like it better. I used Yooper's recipe.

The problem is you are not the first! And are you talking the GOOD Fat Tire from a few years ago or the less good Current Fat Tire.

There are many clones out.

Personally I started with a Fat Tire Clone and made it better!

A little off toppic. Have you tryed the Fat Tire in the can? Is it me or is it a totaly diffrent beer. :/

I have half a batch in the fermenter. Its been 2 weeks, I am going to let it sit there some more. I have never had it. Requested by my sweetheart. So far, so good.

I used this recipe, except I toasted 4 kg instead of 4 lbs. New scale....

Homebrewing Recipes and Articles

The other half is in a cube waiting.

interesting comments about the "old" fat tire. i do remember it as different, but i always thought that was because it just tasted better in CO or out of the keg. we just got it here and it is good, but different. anyway, here is my recipe. i'm sure it is similar to some others, but this is what worked in my set up.

Flat tire

8-11-09

7.5 Dingeman’s pale ale
.5 caramel 80l
1.0 munich
.5 victory
.25 aromatic
1.0 biscuit
mash at 154 for 60

boil for 10 minutes then add:
.5 oz Willamette for 50 min
.5 oz fuggle for 20 min
.5 oz fuggle for 3 min
White labs 001 California ale
Ferment at 68 F for 2 weeks primary, 1 week secondary, crash cool to 40 F for 1-2 weeks.
O.G. 1.054
F.G. 1.014

A little off toppic. Have you tryed the Fat Tire in the can? Is it me or is it a totaly diffrent beer. :/

I have.. def. tastes different to me.. but both of them taste different from what I remember when first discovering it in denver about 8 years ago. Maybe I've just grown older.. but I'm sad to say that I'd be lying if I said that was still my favorite beer.. but it will always have a place in my heart;)

Back