Lebkuchen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stauffbier

Reaction score
Every year for the holidays I bake a bunch of traditional German treats to give as gifts to my family. One of the most requested treats is a type of cookie called Lebkuchen. It's basically a type of gingerbread, but with a lot more flavor complexities. Being of German origin I take great pride in giving my family something that they consider authentic. The origins of Lebkuchen go as far back as 600 years. The basic foundation of the recipe has changed over the years, but the complexity remains the same. In olden times a person had to be certified by law to sell his baked Lebkuchen, and chances are Lebkuchen is all the baker would have made. In varying forms, of coarse. The Germans took purity and refinement very seriously as we all know, since these same standards were upheld for beer with the Reinheitsgebot.

I designed my recipe by researching the history, and by studying many other recipes. It has taken me about 5 years of tweaking to get it just right. I'm not posting my recipe at this time, as it is very intensive. If anyone is interested I might consider taking the time to put it in written form to share in this thread.

Enclosed are some photos of the process of making the dough, which I just did tonight.

First I grind a bunch of hazelnuts with my Corona mill. I also use these ground nuts for other recipes, but that'll have to be another thread.

This is what the nuts look like after grinding.

Then I make some candied orange peels and process them in a food processer.

Then I assemble and weigh all the ingredients. All of these ingredients go into this one recipe. Like I said... It's complex!

At this point I cream eggs and brown sugar. Once creamed the mixture is heated on a steam bath to 130 degrees, and then it gets beat until it's very thick and fluffy.

After that I gently fold in the dry ingredients, and we have dough.

Up to this point the entire process has taken about 3.5 hours to complete. I always make a double batch, but my mixer is only large enough for one batch at a time. If not for that I could probably save a half hour or so.

I'll post more photos after baking.

Thanks Dan! I will indeed. I'll be baking them up tomorrow. As if all this wasn't enough it actually doesn't end there.

The recipe for these cookies is my own and only 6 years old, but I hope it will become a traditional recipe for my daughter and her children just like the other recipes I have that came from my grandmothers grandmother.

That's really cool, Mike. A family legacy that will go on for generations to come.

"This is your great grandpa's recipe. This is how he made them"

A likely conversation in your family's future.

Cheers brother!

I am German, Scottish, Danish and Welsh mix. I was born in Landstuhl, Germany, my Dad was stationed there. I have always been interested in the northern European peoples, cultures and cuisines.

I would be very interested in you continuing to post this and other recipes and procedures.

Thank you for being willing to share!

:mug:

Thank you very much for posting. I am part German as well and my grandmother had a cousin send her Lebkuchen every year from one place in Germany.
I'm not a slouch in the kitchen and I would be very interested in attempting to make your recipe some day.
Thank you again for posting this history lesson in Lebkuchen.

Thanks Subsailor and Melana! It's my pleasure to share this. I'm glad that you both have interest and appreciation. I will indeed be happy to actually post a recipe when I get the chance to put it all in written form.

I just finished baking the cookies. Now I let them cool a while on the rack.

Then I bring sugar and water to 230 degrees and add confectioners sugar to make a sugar glaze.

Then I brush the glaze on both sides and allow to dry thoroughly.

Here they are after they cool. The glaze gives them a nice sugary crunch. At this point I allow them to set up a few hours, and then they will be coated in chocolate bark.

I love Lebkuchen, well done! I'm suspicious of the reinheitsgebot being a purity law but more of tax law. How could the poor bakers compete with rising prices of wheat and rye and pay their taxes to duke this or that? Let the masses drink barley, makes crap bread anyway, there's the answer. Only the royal brewers could include other grains.
But then again, I don't think George Washington put down the whiskey rebellion because there was a shortage of grains but because the original Uncle Sam wasn't getting their share.

No need to coat them in chocolate... please send one this way... your pics are making me drool on my keyboard!
I actually usually do leave some without the chocolate.
I love Lebkuchen, well done! I'm suspicious of the reinheitsgebot being a purity law but more of tax law. How could the poor bakers compete with rising prices of wheat and rye and pay their taxes to duke this or that? Let the masses drink barley, makes crap bread anyway, there's the answer. Only the royal brewers could include other grains.
But then again, I don't think George Washington put down the whiskey rebellion because there was a shortage of grains but because the original Uncle Sam wasn't getting their share.

You're probably not far off texcan, but all that really did was make the brewers that were governed by the law become very good at their craft.

I used to live in Germany, and this makes me remember so many of my favorites! Thanks for the photos and the instructions.

I never had a sweet tooth, but oh how I miss brötchen! Brötchen and butter was always my biggest downfall, and a real treat for me. I didn't eat much lebkuchen but I did have my share of it. Again, thanks!

The glaze has set, so now it's time to cover them in chocolate. Traditionally you would use a semi-sweet dark chocolate. If you do that you have to eat them very quickly, because the sugar from the glaze will cause the chocolate to start to crystalize. This will give the chocolate a white, chalky look, and it also ruins the texture and taste. So, if you aren't going to eat them up in a couple days, don't go that route. For this reason I use the dark chocolate flavored almond bark. Something else I should mention.... Traditionally you would bake these as much as 4-6 weeks before Christmas and allow them to mellow in a cool, dark place. This allows for all of the spices and other flavors to meld together. So, if you want to age them and use real dark chocolate just wait until you plan to eat them before coating them with the chocolate.

So here we go...

And the final, easiest step.. Eat them up!

Happy Holidays Friends!

I used to live in Germany, and this makes me remember so many of my favorites! Thanks for the photos and the instructions.

I never had a sweet tooth, but oh how I miss brötchen! Brötchen and butter was always my biggest downfall, and a real treat for me. I didn't eat much lebkuchen but I did have my share of it. Again, thanks!

I'm not lucky enough to have ever actually been to Germany, but my mother and her family are from there. As a child my mother and her parents lived above a bakery. They ate fresh baked bread literally everyday. She tells stories of how the smell of the bakery would rise up into their apartment early every morning and wake her up. I'd take that over an alarm clock any day! When it comes to German bread I'm a rye man, but I sure won't kick Brötchen out of bed!

I have indeed been cursed with a huge sweet tooth, but I don't really get to eat much more than 4-5 of these cookies. Most of them go out as gifts, and the rest get devoured by my mother, her husband, and my daughter.

This weekend I'll be baking my ancient family recipe of Stollen. Then pfeffernusse will be after that.

I'll try to find time this week to get the recipe for the Lebkuchen posted for all the folks that are interested in making these.

How sweet is the core cookie?

It's not super sweet. There's only about 3.5 cups of brown sugar for every 100 cookies. The real sweetness comes from the sugar glaze. It wouldn't be out of character to eat these without the sugar glaze and chocolate if you prefer the cookies to be less sweet.

I dropped $30 on Lebkuchen the other day (and every year) at World Market. Well, that and Hanutas - 2 of the many things I learned to love when I lived in Germany. Looking forward to your recipe.

P_HanutaHaselnussschnitte_Teaser.jpg

It's not super sweet. There's only about 3.5 cups of brown sugar for every 100 cookies. The real sweetness comes from the sugar glaze. It wouldn't be out of character to eat these without the sugar glaze and chocolate if you prefer the cookies to be less sweet.

That would be me, not a huge fan of sweets,more a savory guy.
How much hazelnuts? It's the one thing I know I don't have in house and may or may not be difficult to locate, never tried.
Cheers

How much hazelnuts? It's the one thing I know I don't have in house and may or may not be difficult to locate, never tried.
Cheers

This time of year, you should be able to find hazelnuts (AKA Filberts) in just about any grocery store.
Regards, GF.

I dropped $30 on Lebkuchen the other day (and every year) at World Market. Well, that and Hanutas - 2 of the many things I learned to love when I lived in Germany. Looking forward to your recipe.
I also spent a lot of money on lebkuchen and other various goodies (including beer) at World Market recently. My family and I do that every year when they get their holiday items.

Cheers
Truth be told, originally I believe most lebkuchen recipes call for almonds. I use hazelnuts because I prefer the flavor.
This time of year, you should be able to find hazelnuts (AKA Filberts) in just about any grocery store.
Regards, GF.

In years passed we always got hazelnuts at the stores around the holidays. About 3 years ago they just stopped showing up. For that reason we have been ordering them online since then. My mother does the ordering, so I'm not sure what site she gets them from. I can find out.

Hi friends!

I'm sorry it took so long to get back with a recipe. I've been baking like a mad, big, fat, jolly, old elf!

In my recipe you will notice the use of something called Back Oblaten. This is basically a bread-like wafer that is traditionally used under the cookie. It was basically used to keep the cookies from sticking to the cookie sheet. They are edible, flavorless wafers. I used to use it, but I don't bother anymore. Now I just bake on parchment paper, which works wonderfully.

First I will post the cookie dough recipe, and then I'll post the recipe for the sugar glaze that goes on top.

Lebkuchen:

INGREDIENTS;
5 lrg. eggs
1.75 cups dark brown sugar
1/4 cup Black Forest Honey (or any other type of honey)
3 cups un-blanched almonds with skins finely ground (or hazelnuts)
1.25 cups of un-bleached all purpose flour
1/2 cup of candied orange peel finely minced
1/2 cup of crystalized ginger finely minced
1 tsp lemon extract
1 tsp orange extract
1 tsp anise extract
1.5 tsp ground cinnamon
1.25 tsp ground cardamom
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
1/2 tsp ground clove
1/2 tsp ground allspice
1/4 tsp Mace
3T Unsweetened dark cocoa powder
2.75" - 3" Back Oblaten (optional - available online)

INSTRUCTIONS;
1) Cream eggs and sugar until light and fluffy (in a metal mixing bowl).
2) Place mixing bowl on steam bath and whisk continuously until 130*F.
3) Remove from heat and return to mixer. Add candied orange peel and crystalized ginger.
4) Continue beating with mixer for about 5 minutes to stiff peaks.
5) After 5 minutes mix in all extracts.
6) Combine all dry ingredients thoroughly in a separate bowl.
7) Fold in dry ingredients gently.
8) Cover and refrigerate over-night.
9) Pre-heat oven to 350*F. Spoon dough onto back oblaten and smooth to edges.
** If not using back oblaten bake cookies on parchment paper.
*** Use two spoons to drop dough, as it's very sticky!
10) Bake at 350*F for 15-17 minutes or until firm to the touch.
11) Allow to cool, then coat with sugar glaze and chocolate.

Sugar Glaze:

2 cups sugar
1 cup water
1/2 cup Confectioners sugar

Boil sugar and water until first indication of a thread appears (230*F). Remove from heat. Stir in confectioners sugar, and brush hot icing thinly over entire cookie (top and bottom). If the glaze starts to get hard or sugary add a little hot water (2 or 3T) to re-liquefy.

** TIP, wear food safe gloves while you do this, since you will be handling the cookies with hot icing. The icing is extremely hot!!!!

After the icing has completely cooled (1 -2 hours) brush on melted dark chocolate or chocolate flavored almond bark.

Enjoy friends!!

Bump for the holidays. Even if you're not German give these a try. I'm Scots Irish with some German thrown in cause you know, ze Germans.

All the same, great recipe.

I'd like to try making these, since pop's side is from Upper Bavaria between 1728-1734. Gotta learn more German stuff. I have a German cookbook from Luchow's in NYC dated 1951...70th anniversary addition. Even the venison recipes look good. Wiki link...http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L%C3%BCchow%27s I'll have to look at the book for the date again. I have the exact book in the article. They say 1952, but it seems to me it said 1951, as it was their 70th anniversary the year it was published. I found it by sheer dumb luck at the rummage & antique sale held in old Avon twice a year. I know I didn't pay more than $1.50 for it!

Ironically, I just finished this years batch this morning. It's always a family favorite.. Thanks for the bump Austin!

Thank you. My mom said that these were the best of the best. I wish my Oma was here to sample them.

It makes me very happy to hear that Melana! I wish my Oma was around for the same reason. I bake a lot of her Christmas recipes, and I'm sure she would be proud of that fact. I bake her stollen every year, too. This lebkuchen recipe, wasn't hers, though. I devised it from various other recipes I found online. It's probably a mix of at least 4 recipes plus some of my own tweaks.

I'm glad that you all enjoyed it.

Happy New Year!

I'm still tempted to try these myself. My middle son especially likes German cooking. That old Luchow's cookbook comes in handy for authentic German food stuffs...

Back