Toddler broke off growth tip

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spintab

Reaction score
I have a set of three second year plants. Columbus, chinook, fuggles. All three did pretty well in large opts last year then I moved them to the ground after I cut them down. They spent the winter in the Alabama ground but we moved to Georgia and into a house where my only choice is to have them back in pots. A couple months in and the single hearty chinook bine had it's growth tip lopped off by my toddler. Is that it for that bine? I don't know if it will continue to grow after a virtual circumcision and there isn't another healthy bine grasping at it's coat tails. I'm concerned all three didn't like the move too much so I'm trying to baby them. They've all seemed to hit a lull in vertical growth at about a foot. Perhaps rerooting? Perhaps just a relax don't worry... period?

Hop plants have two sets of roots. You lost the surface roots when you moved. They will come back in a bit and you'll see new bines.

As much of a bummer it seems to be when the tip breaks off, things generally work out just fine. I've found that the bin that broke off will generally throw out lateral growth at one of the top nodes under the broken tip. I'll pinch off one side of the laterals and then train the other to the line and it usually takes off toward the top of the trellis. Good luck!

It will probably split and you will get 2 bines growing from the tip that was damaged. It happened to me and it might take weeks before you see new growth.

Just an update on this. I ended up pulling the one that got broken because 4 other extremely hearty bines came up and surpassed the original. They are now all 12ft tall and approaching the top of my trellis.

Back