Thoughts on first AG (BIAB)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bk0

Reaction score
So I did my first AG batch yesterday. BIAB-style with no new equipment (5 gallon kettle used as mashtun).

Some observations:

1. BIAB is super easy, there's almost no reason to use extract anymore!
  2. 5 gallon BK is small for a five gallon batch but it still works
  3. Sparging is basically mandatory. I wasn't planning on doing it, but the grain absorbed nearly all of my initial mash water (3.5 gallons). When I pulled the bag up there was only maybe an inch or two of wort in the kettle!
  4. Nylon paint strainer bag ($3.49 for two at Home Depot) worked perfectly. One bag was easily strong enough for 13lbs wet grain).

So I did a quick fly sparge with maybe 2.5 gallons of 160 degree water and got about 4 gallons of wort. Efficiency turned out to be about 68% which is decent for the first time I guess.

It was very gratifying to go from a big bag of grain to a finished brew! Cheaper, too.

Well the issue is that I brew on my stove in an apartment. It's powerful enough for a 5 gallon BK but if I go to 7.5 or 10 gallons it might not be strong enough to get to a boil. Plus there's limited vertical space..actually limited space everywhere.

That's a good price for a kettle. That's what I spent on my 5 gallon BK.

Latest posts

Back