Big kettle. Now what??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerMe82

Reaction score
I just became the proud owner of a turky fryer that can hold up to 7.5 gallons, So I am now capable of doing full 5 gal boils. My question is, what does this actually help. I was hoping to do a few easy full grain batches, or get full hop utilization, but the recipes call for sparging. Im not sure if sparging is absolutely necessary. Why cant I just leave my grains in bags and place them in a strainer over the pot and rinse with hot water? Or can I? Should I just stick with partial mash brewing for now?

Sparging is more than just a rinse of the grains. The 170 degree temperature gets extra sugars out of the grain without extracting tannins. there is more science behind it that I don't really know about, but it is somewhat important, but not crucial.

The original BIAB method is a no sparge technique. If you have another decent sized pot then you could heat up your sparge water in that. There are a lot of options that you could explore, and I would recommend trying out AG brewing, and then consider going back to partial mashes. You might not like all the extra work and prefer to stick with partial mashes, but you are capable of doing AG with your set up.

Search no sparge brewing and BIAB.

I have actually done a little research on the BIAB method and it looks like a great option. I like the fact that it is really easy on space and my wallet. However I have viewed a few vids on Youtube where a guy simply places a strainer on his kettle and washes over the grain bags with the 170 degree water. This looks like a cool little technique that I could possibly use without buying the huge grain bag. However, that BIAB method looks effective and easy. I think I can set a smaller kettle on the stove in the kitchen and get the sparge water ready, then do the strainer thing. IDK, just looking for options.

Agree with Malticulous. For under $30, you can have a brand new 40 quart cooler mashtun with stainless steel braid and ball valve.
You are more than halfway there to doing true AG brews, and it is much easier than you might think.

Agree with Malticulous. For under $30, you can have a brand new 40 quart cooler mashtun with stainless steel braid and ball valve.
You are more than halfway there to doing true AG brews, and it is much easier than you might think.

Where can I get a brand new 40qt cooler mash tun with stainless steel braid and ball valve for under $30?

Is BIAB not considered a true AG brew, but using a cooler MT is a true AG brew.

Having done both BIAB and cooler MT AG, I would not discourage you from trying either.

Where can I get a brand new 40qt cooler mash tun with stainless steel braid and ball valve for under $30?

Is BIAB not considered a true AG brew, but using a cooler MT is a true AG brew.

Having done both BIAB and cooler MT AG, I would not discourage you from trying either.
I saw 42 quart Coleman coolers at Dick's Sporting goods for $19.95.
The ss braid is about $6 at Home Depot, and the ball valve was right around the same price.
So, maybe a tad over $30, but well worth it.

I did this today. Was wondering if anyone could offer some guidance. I am wondering if the piping is too close to the edge, and maybe it should be more toward the center of the cooler, to aid in more even flow.

IMAG0083.jpg

Ill use the extra cpvc to make some type of fly sparge design on the lid. But for now, this is what I got.

If your batch sparging it don't make a difference...I would advise batch sparging anyway with a rectangular cooler. Slits on the bottom will drain a little more wort out of the tun.

I can mash up to 19lbs of grain using my 32qt kettle and biab. I rinse the bag by pouring 170f water over the bag. It works great!

I would highly recommend modifying the location of the pipe so that it is evenly spread from the middle to the edges. This will give you flexibility to choose whether to batch or fly sparge.

We have ladder golf! I just hope the pass through will stay put. I couldn't find a double male cpvc piece, so I found a male to female adapter that passes through, which I put in place with a generous amount of silicon sealant. Ill test it when I get a chance.

IMAG0085.jpg

Back