Are All Base Grains Created Equal

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeinCT

Reaction score
I am on my fourth all grain brew. Generally I am having good results. But I am noticing differences in yield/effiency from one type of base grain to another. I started with a more costly import base grain and then switched to a basic american two row. My wort OG seems to have fallen a bit. I wonder what other more experienced brewers have found with base grains.

cheers - Mikein CT

Thanks for the tip. I went to the Gambrinus page and saw an impressive collection of quality measurements. I wonder how the yield compares to other base grains? I think that if there are base grains that offer extra flavor and OG yield I would be likely to use them evenif they were more costly. But at this point I am not sure of the differences.

Not sure which pale malts you've tried. I find Rahr is a pretty good inexpensive pale malt (its effeciency is only very slightly less then some of the others). If you say which imported pale malt you do like, we can compare its specs to domestic malts...

Back