I like this time at night on HBT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thunder_Chicken said:
An experiment was performed back when the shuttle was flying to produce electricity from the Earth's magnetic field by stringing a 20 km tether between it and a satellite. Same idea as moving a wire coil in a generator, the only differences being that the Earth's magnetic field is much weaker and the shuttle moved a lot faster with more momentum. BobbiLynn - your hubby could do this, but he'd have to skip rope with the cord pretty darned quick to get any power out of it. The concept could also be reversed - a current run through the tether could apply a force on the tether and move the shuttle (in theory). That is like reversing a generator and making it into a motor. EDIT: Here's a link: http://www-spof.gsfc.nasa.gov/Education/wtether.html

That was a great read. People once thought the world was flat. The experiment you talk of is not different. It is like an old day ship caption that will soon find out the world is not flat. Or something like that .

This country was not built by men tat couldn't see the future. It was built by men who conceived the future.

My recipe for the best oven-baked potatoes, hubby loves these and says if I ever packaged them, I'd be rich. And they use store bought stuff anyone can buy.

4 potatoes, diced into 1-inch cubes, peeled or cleaned and unpeeled.
1/4 cup olive oil
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp Lawry's seasoning salt

In a fairly good sized metal bowl, mix the olive oil and seasonings. Mix well with a fork. Add the potatoes to the mix. You need a big enough bowl to keep stirring them in and coating them with the mix. Mix about every 10 to 15 minutes for one hour. This is the secret, let the raw potatoes sit in the olive oil/seasoning mix for at least an hour. The potatoes will turn slightly soft before you even put them in the oven. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. After an hour, moisture from the potatoes will make the seasoning coating seem like more is there. At first it barely coats them, but then it'll seem like you have extra.

On a cookie sheet, pour out the potatoes and extra stuff over the top of them. Spread them out a little. Cook just 30 minutes or until golden brown. Eat!!!!

My recipe for the best oven-baked potatoes, hubby loves these and says if I ever packaged them, I'd be rich. And they use store bought stuff anyone can buy.

1/4 cup olive oil
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder

In a fairly good sized metal bowl, mix the olive oil and seasonings. Mix well with a fork. Add the potatoes to the mix. You need a big enough bowl to keep stirring them in and coating them with the mix. Mix about every 10 to 15 minutes for one hour. This is the secret, let the raw potatoes sit in the olive oil/seasoning mix for at least an hour. The potatoes will turn slightly soft before you even put them in the oven. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. After an hour, moisture from the potatoes will make the seasoning coating seem like more is there. At first it barely coats them, but then it'll seem like you have extra.

On a cookie sheet, pour out the potatoes and extra stuff over the top of them. Spread them out a little. Cook just 30 minutes or until golden brown. Eat!!!!

I love my taters. Must be the finlander in me. We do something similar and they are great. My favorite though is baked. Scrub em good, roll them around in olive oil and plenty of coarse salt, then toss them on the middle rack in a 350 oven for about an hour. Always eat the delious crispy skin.

1/4 cup olive oil
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder

BobbiLynn, that sounds great!

I love my taters. Must be the finlander in me. We do something similar and they are great. My favorite though is baked. Scrub em good, roll them around in olive oil and plenty of coarse salt, then toss them on the middle rack in a 350 oven for about an hour. Always eat the delious crispy skin.

Man, I'm getting hungry

Well, the tree is in place and lit. Our angel crapped out and won't light though. I'll call an electrician in the morning. It got late so we'll have to finish the decorating tomorrow. -30 wind chill tomorrow I hear. If they cancel school, I am staying home too. G'nite all.

Nothing like the school report closures on the morning radio. Yay!

You should look into fixing lights. It's not that hard.

I'm kidding, you know that. It's like me telling an MD about Penicillin

Ischiavo, no reason to be out in that cold of weather. I'd cancel school myself. Heck when it gets below freezing here (Southern AZ) I want to stay home.

I just walked outside for a "smoke break" I don't smoke.. Its just an expression. There was a maintainer turning up a jet across the way. Throttle on.. 80% power, cause that's as high as he can go unless it's a highpower run. Then, the jet is chained down by a gigantic chain. Pretty sure he wasn't at that point because there was not an afterburner glow out of the plane's butt.

I make my living in a land where jets, military jets fly. Sometimes it's so damn noisy here I hate it. But I rebute that by telling you, there is nothing like the smell of jet engine exhaust or the excitement that goes along with that. What was the saying in Apocolypse Now, I love the smell of NAPALM in the morning. Well hell, I've never smelled that but have smelled JP5 being chugged through jet engines in the morning. It smells , it smells like something great is about to happen.

Someday I might put up here on this thread my retirement video. My wife got a fellow to record it. It's buried somewhere. If I find it I'll put it up.

Dan, just love your postings. So poetic, real life. I may not have much to say at times but definitely enjoy, look forward, to a Dan post. Thank you for this thread.

Agreed, absolute awesome recipe. My blood sugar has been a bit high, so potatoes are a no-no for now, but I think we'll get back to the occaisional Sunday breakfast with oven-baked potatoes soon.

I just walked outside for a "smoke break" I don't smoke.. Its just an expression. There was a maintainer turning up a jet across the way. Throttle on.. 80% power, cause that's as high as he can go unless it's a highpower run. Then, the jet is chained down by a gigantic chain. Pretty sure he wasn't at that point because there was not an afterburner glow out of the plane's butt.

I make my living in a land where jets, military jets fly. Sometimes it's so damn noisy here I hate it. But I rebute that by telling you, there is nothing like the smell of jet engine exhaust or the excitement that goes along with that. What was the saying in Apocolypse Now, I love the smell of NAPALM in the morning. Well hell, I've never smelled that but have smelled JP5 being chugged through jet engines in the morning. It smells , it smells like something great is about to happen.

Someday I might put up here on this thread my retirement video. My wife got a fellow to record it. It's buried somewhere. If I find it I'll put it up.

Danny, you remind me of my Air Force days. I don't smoke either, but I'd head out on the "second-hand smoke breaks" with my guys in the shop, listening to the jets fire up and smelling the JP-8 fuel. Great times. Can't hear a damned thing now, but great times.

Dan, just love your postings. So poetic, real life. I may not have much to say at times but definitely enjoy, look forward, to a Dan post. Thank you for this thread.

Thank you for the kind words HefeHood. I sometimes get carried away writing but it is my outlet. I've considered writing a writing a book; about what I'm not really sure.

In late 2002 my dad passed away after a long battle with cancer, he was 66. He was in Hospice his last 4 weeks. I was lucky enough to be on shore duty at the time and my squadron actually gave me three weeks of Temporary Assigned Duty, back home. Free vacation, I just had to check in by phone with a local recruiting station. My brothers and sister and I took turns "standing watch" over Dad at night. The Hospice nurse gave us a notebook to write down stuff about Dad's conditions during the night, medicines given, etc. I turned that thing into a novel about my dad. My cousin read parts of it at Dad's funeral. Believe me, the pages were tear stained. I haven't the courage to read through it again, I don't think my bros and sis have either.

I'm sorry, I get kind of emotional this time of the year.

Danny, you remind me of my Air Force days. I don't smoke either, but I'd head out on the "second-hand smoke breaks" with my guys in the shop, listening to the jets fire up and smelling the JP-8 fuel. Great times. Can't hear a damned thing now, but great times.

Yea they were! I'm in the same boat hearing wise. I think I hear fine but my wife and kids think I have more hearing loss than I think I do. What's wrong with using subtitles on movies? ;)

I'm sorry, I get kind of emotional this time of the year.

Yea they were! I'm in the same boat hearing wise. I think I hear fine but my wife and kids think I have more hearing loss than I think I do. What's wrong with using subtitles on movies? ;)

Yeppers, my Dad passed the same way. Passed before his time, but he had a great life and died without pain at the age of 79. He LIVED man, so no tears. There will be tears if I don't have as much fun in my life!

My refrain in my classes - Speak UP! The kids are pretty timid - I need to charge them up and get them confindent in what they know. It's not hard, they just need to know.

Dan - if you learn anything from your dad's passing, learn that you should enjoy every moment and don't live with regret. In 100 years none of us will be here. What we do with our lives is a temporary thing. The party starts...last week! Get a move on man!

So, I'm watching "Lovelace" on NetFlix. Seemed like it might be an interesting movie but if it is a true reflection of Linda Lovelace's life... Not so nice

You know what bugs the hell out of me? Racial devision. I grew up in a small town in Illinois. Everybody was white.. It wasn't till I joined the Navy that I met people not white. Luckily for me, I had no preconcieved notions about race. I think that is not always a given depending on where a person grows up.

One of the very many good things I thank the Navy for, was they look at everybody the same regardless of race. When a person goes through BootCamp it is leveling. After that it's all about what a person does to become successful.

I think that concept is lost on much of our society. To many preconceived notions all around. A person is a person. Race does not make or break them, or shouldn't.

You know what bugs the hell out of me? Racial devision. I grew up in a small town in Illinois. Everybody was white.. It wasn't till I joined the Navy that I met people not white. Luckily for me, I had no preconcieved notions about race. I think that is not always a given depending on where a person grows up.

One of the very many good things I thank the Navy for, was they look at everybody the same regardless of race. When a person goes through BootCamp it is leveling. After that it's all about what a person does to become successful.

I think that concept is lost on much of our society. To many preconceived notions all around. A person is a person. Race does not make or break them, or shouldn't.

Same deal with the Air Force - they shave your head and stick you in the same uniform and only the person can shine through. I worked in some race divided neighborhoods before I went in the service, but the Air Force made it OK.

Same deal with the Air Force - they shave your head and stick you in the same uniform and only the person can shine through. I worked in some race divided neighborhoods before I went in the service, but the Air Force made it OK.

Cheers Brother. I'm with you on that. I got to get some sleep now.

Danny

Bare with me friends. I really get effed up during the holidays. Well, not always but the last couple years I've been a wreck. Writing for me no matter how silly or trivial or self absorbed a subject it might be. It helps. I guess I'm really missing some stuff in life. I'm not telling you that cause I want sympathy.

I like to tell stories, good or bad I'll bore you with them. In the Navy we called them Sea Stories and everybody has some.

Here's one of mine.. ( I got more, not so depressing :D)

Fire on the Flightdeck! Fire on the Flightdeck! -were the words coming across the ship’s 1MC, the shipwide PA system.
It was in the fall of 1984, aboard the USS Midway on a beautiful sunny day, calm seas, and my first cruise. We had left our homeport of Yokosuka, Japan 7 days earlier.
When I heard the announcement I didn’t really know what to do. I’d pretty much been in the Navy since breakfast and was working on an F-4S Phantom in hangar bay two. A First Class PO from my squadron happened to walk by and said, “Go back to your shop Danny!” so I did.
It was a sad, tragic day. An A-7 landing gone bad. The pilot was way below his flight path and the Landing Signal Officer waved him off but the guy didn’t abort, he never got enough altitude to clear the round down of the ship. Instead he plowed into it about mid center of the aircraft, right on the centerline external fuel tank. There really was nothing much left of the airplane, it exploded into a fireball and momentum carried the wreckage forward off the deck. We did a very long FOD walkdown afterwards, but there just was not much of anything to pick up. I didn’t see the crash happen live, I was down in the hangar bay but it was replayed numerous times on the ship’s CCTV for a few hours before somebody had the good sensed to remove it.
Sad story really, the pilot was a young guy, probably 24-25 years old, his brother was stationed aboard the ship, a pilot too if I remember correctly.

Back