home brew shops with attitude

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Uncle Argyle said:
I used to go to one shop that had pretty convenient hours, location and decent stock. But the owner never seemed interested in helping me out. I would be the only one in the store and his answers (when he answered) were always one or two word grunts.

I found another shop close by with extremely limited hours (second floor of his home), but he is genuinely interested in helping me. I will sacrifice the convenience to give this guy my business. This is a fun hobby for me, I don't want to feel like I'm pestering someone every time I want to give them some of my hard earned cash!

I had the same thing happen to me. When I was just starting out, my shop would give me answers, only to find out later, that some were true, some weren't. I think the crappy wrong answers started coming out after I had some wins in competition.

Wouldn't you want to tell your customers EVERYTHING you knew so they'd come back to you ?

Human ego - male is worse than female..........unless it's two chicks, which is hot.........oops, need to change forums.

It shows you the quality of the shops around here when most of the owners have never done AG brewing and they are asking customers fro feedback and advice.

My 4 nearest shops only sell grains in 6lb bags. I don't use them.

I'm a lucky one, I suppose. The owner of my LHBS is a really cool guy who's chatted extensively with me about just about every batch that I've ever made. He'll even shoot the $#!t with you when you see him around town (usually at the pub :cross: )

I like my "local" HBS. It is an hour away in another state, but it is pretty good. The owner (I think) is very friendly and is always willing to chat. They have a pretty decent stock (as far as I can tell).

the_bird, do you agree? Any more to add, correct?

When Roger's there, he's cool (his son's cool, too). There's another middle-aged guy who's nice enough, but not as helpful or as willing to chat. Overall, though, I consider myself lucky to have them around, even with the drive involved.

gonzoflick said:
The only LHBS in orlando, Hearts is a total crock. The guys there seem like they cant wait for you to get out. The owner once told me, seriously, that they didnt care about local business....go figure

I was less than impressed with the attitude of Hearts as well. I've only been there once and will not be returning. It also seemed rather dirty in there. They did have a rather nice beer selection though.

It is the same distance for me to drive to Homebrew Emporium in Daytona. Those guys are great and have my loyalty. I've heard that a shop opened up in Cape Canaveral but have not made it there yet. I was also told that Downtown Produce in Melbourne has started selling supplies. I love the beer selection in that store...the angels sing as soon as you walk through the doors. :D

I started with the Oak Barrel in California and that set a standard that no one else remotely approaches. Most of the shops around here are so far away and unhelpful there just isn't any point in going to them except in an emergency. One place, the only person in the shop most of the time is the accountant and all she knows about homebrewing is where the crusher is located. If I was trying to get started here today, I wouldn't get very far.

Well david_42, Doug at homebrew heaven in Salem is incredibly helpful to me. I went in there at age 16 with my father and he helped me get setup and to this day still gives me advice and will critique my brews if i bring them by. The other HBS i go to farther south i get treated like i'm nothing. I try asking advice and once even was asked "How old are you?" i responded, and then he continued to say "So i take it you just want beers to get you drunk, try making a strong amber or something easy". STFU, i wanted to tell this guy about my fantastic porters and alt ales (all below 4%) that i drink for satisfaction not drunkenness. That's what BMC is for right?

Just like wine snobbery, there is some beer snobbery. I guess i just try not to get to rattled over it.

Back