Fermentation stalled?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

msarro

Reaction score
Hey everyone.
I finally got a chance to check out my first batch of oatmeal stout, a week into a fermentation. At its fastest the airlock was bubbling about once every 20 seconds. Now, it doesn't really appear to be bubbling at all. I verified that the seal is good on the fermenter, the lid is completely tamped down. I opened it up and saw about a 2 inch high ring of sediment along the edge of the fermenter above the top of the wort, which I'm asuming is remnants of the kraussen. I'll be getting a gravity eading later today one I have a chance to sterilize some of the equipment. One week in just seems unrealistically fast for it to be finished, especially considering there was never a really vigorous period of fermentation.

I'm starting to regret not getting an OG reading.

Any ideas what might be going on?

yeah, you are equating airlock bubbling with fermentation.......

There's absolutely nothing wrong with your beer, the answer is right here;

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/airlock-activity-gone-before-5-days-210459/#post2460863

As you can see you need to use your hydromter....And you can still use it despite not taking a grav reaging. The grav reading will tell you NOW where on the journey from Original gravity to terminal gravity, your beer really is. You have the OG, if you didn;t take one, the recipe still should tell you what the grav is for that recipe, in extract it is foolproof...Or you can enter the recipe into any beer calculator even the free ones found online.

Your recipe should also tell you what the FG should be..And your gravity reading will tell you what you beer is doing NOW.

Hrm, awesome! Thanks for the advice. I would have expected at least some rapid bubbling? But then again a lot of the people who do have that say it only lasts a day or two, whereas I had about 5 days of bubbling at a rate of about once every 20 seconds. I do know that bubbling isn't exactly the same as fermentation too, it's a byproduct of the yeast digesting food, along with alcohol (I used to grow mushrooms, but there alcohol was a very BAD thing). But then again if th airlock never bubbles there could be other reasons. I'll take a grav reading today.

Here's the thread I originally posted about it for some background info.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/just-starting-silly-question-215205/

even if you're hydrometer shows fermentation is over, doesnt mean the yeast are done working either. the yeast continue to clean up after themselves so its best to give it at least a week once active fermentation is over. if you can handle the wait, 3-4 weeks in the primary is what's usually recommended

Back