new igloo extreme mashtun question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Philsfan

Reaction score
I just bought an igloo extreme rectangular 60 quart cooler. I also bought a standard 3/4 inch bazooka screen. My problem is the cooler drain is on the backside of the cooler instead of the instead of the side. I went ahead and installed the screen but I am concerned that since the screen is not going across the length of the cooler I am going to lose effieciency. Another concern is the screen is not resting on the bottom of the cooler and the bazooka screen is pretty rigid and difficult to get it to stay at the bottom. Will the grain bed weigh it down enough to get it to rest at the bottom? Any suggestions?

The location, side back or front makes no difference if batch sparging. The length of braid does not matter either for batching. The height of the braid might leave wort behind, not allowing you to fully drain the tun. Don't worry, this issue can be mitigated by tipping the cooler towards the drain to catch most if not all the runnings.

I just bought an igloo extreme rectangular 60 quart cooler. I also bought a standard 3/4 inch bazooka screen. My problem is the cooler drain is on the backside of the cooler instead of the instead of the side. I went ahead and installed the screen but I am concerned that since the screen is not going across the length of the cooler I am going to lose effieciency. Another concern is the screen is not resting on the bottom of the cooler and the bazooka screen is pretty rigid and difficult to get it to stay at the bottom. Will the grain bed weigh it down enough to get it to rest at the bottom? Any suggestions?

Use a length of hose to get the screen to lay however you want. You're dealing with a siphon, so having a hump in the middle from the screen on the bottom of the cooler, up and out the side, and then down into a BK means it will pull out everything until air gets into your screen. This is assuming a gravity fed MT.

Thanks for the info that eases my worries. I am going to attempt my first all grain batch this weekend. Any suggestions for an idiot proof first recipe?

Back