Wanna try Kegging, but have questions...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

anthonyb15fd

Reaction score
I am new to brewing and I would like to try kegging. Ive read some stuff about it but I would like to get some other opinions. After the beer has fermented you would transfer it in to the keg and not bottles right.? Now, where do you set the CO2 to carbonate the beer..? When do you turn the CO2 level down? How long can the beer last in the keg? When I bottled my beer each bottle had a small amount of yeast at the bottom, does this also happen with the keg..? If someone can just give me a rundown on these questions and whatever else you would like to add I would really appreciate it...

Thanks

After the beer has fermented you would transfer it in to the keg and not bottles right.?
Yes, rack from fermenter to keg.

Now, where do you set the CO2 to carbonate the beer..?
I set the CO2 pressure at 30psi. Or if you meant to ask where the tank goes, you can put the CO2 tank inside the fridge or outside, but the beer should be in the fridge and cold.

When do you turn the CO2 level down?
After 36-48 hours, you turn the CO2 down to about 10-12psi.

How long can the beer last in the keg?
Light beers last 4-5 months, but higher ABV beers will age better and be good up to a year and longer. Light beers and dry hopped beers are best consumed within 2-3 months IME.

When I bottled my beer each bottle had a small amount of yeast at the bottom, does this also happen with the keg..?
Yes, but the amount of yeast in the bottom varies based on your process. If you have a long primary or use a secondary there will be very little yeast in the keg. It doesn't matter anyways, because the first pint or two you pull will be a bit cloudy. After that, you should have clear beer.

Others are more experienced than me, but this is what I do.

Yep, after fermentation you rack directly to the keg...same precautions with oxidation. Some people put priming sugar in, but I do not.

I use the "set and forget" method, where you set pressure to about 12psi and let it sit for minimum 1 week, but 2 weeks is better. When you're ready to drink, set the CO2 to 5-8psi (you'll need to experiment), purge the keg, and pour yourself a brew. My cream ale had a decent head at 1 week, but after 2 weeks it was a beautiful persistent head that lasted the entire drink.

There will be some sediment in the keg to the point where your first pint might be a tad cloudy (I have not experienced this however), but after that it's smooth sailing.

Note that all the sanitizing care that you use for bottling applies to kegging. Hope this helps.

Latest posts

Back