I like this time at night on HBT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, I just couldn't get a siphon going with the racking cane.
It would start, then air in the tubing, and then stop.

Most assuredly I am doing it wrong, but don't know what!

Do you have a tubing clamp or are you pinching the hose? Pinching can be hit or miss. Also, you have the little "foot" that goes over the end of cane right?

Man not having anything to do during the mash is boring. I did the dishes and then cleaned a bunch of bottles and still have 15 minutes left.

I missed my mash temp by 2 degrees low so I pulled 8 cups of wort and boiled it and then dumped it back in again. That got me to the perfect mash temp so I closed it up and walked away. Next thing I do is dump it in the boil pot and off to the rodeo:D

Starting my first batch of cheddar cheese tonight. Feels just like the first time I brewed. Did a lot of reading and know what to do. But what seems like magic once your good at it is frustrating and exciting when you first start out. So much to learn. Temp control and sanitation are just as important making cheese as beer. I found out during this StarSan is used at dairies. This process has much similarity to making homebrew. Loving it. Got to go; my curds and whey are waiting.

Man not having anything to do during the mash is boring. I did the dishes and then cleaned a bunch of bottles and still have 15 minutes left.

I missed my mash temp by 2 degrees low so I pulled 8 cups of wort and boiled it and then dumped it back in again. That got me to the perfect mash temp so I closed it up and walked away. Next thing I do is dump it in the boil pot and off to the rodeo:D

I've had to do a decoction myself once in a while. Kind of sucks when it's spur of the moment.

Starting my first batch of cheddar cheese tonight. Feels just like the first time I brewed. Did a lot of reading and know what to do. But what seems like magic once your good at it is frustrating and exciting when you first start out. So much to learn. Temp control and sanitation are just as important making cheese as beer. I found out during this StarSan is used at dairies. This process has much similarity to making homebrew. Loving it. Got to go; my curds and whey are waiting.
Do tell? I'd like to hear how things go with your cheddar.

Do tell? I'd like to hear how things go with your cheddar.

Thanks! I'm going to post some pics along the way. Nothing in depth because I am an extreme newbie with cheese making and there are many people here who could explain it better.

Details aside, the following pic is the result of two gallons of grocery store Whole Milk 2 hours into the process. This will yield two pounds of cheddar. Most of those hours as the rest of the even longer process will be waiting. Very similar to beer.

cheddar-curds-58529.jpg

Doesnt look like much other than orange tinted cottage cheese at this point. In a few more hours I'll start pressing the moisture out of it. That will take 36 hous or so. I'll post a pic when it goes into the cheese press.

Timer just went off. Time for the next step. Which I forget exactly what it is.. need to scan the recipe quickly. :mug:

Now I am looking up how to make cheese. Looks like it can be made from soy milk. Lactose intolerance sucks. :(

Cygnus, if you get air bubbles in your bottles, just wait for them to die down before capping. I'm sure it will be fine. :)

That song was so.... cheesy.

Doesnt look like much other than orange tinted cottage cheese at this point. In a few more hours I'll start pressing the moisture out of it. That will take 36 hous or so. I'll post a pic when it goes into the cheese press.

Timer just went off. Time for the next step. Which I forget exactly what it is.. need to scan the recipe quickly. :mug:

Would love to see more of the process too. What made the milk turn orange? :confused:

I like cheese.

I'd love to actually spend the time to learn to, and then make it, but I am stretched too thin now with the hobbies already. Id want to attempt Italian cheeses, like a good grana (parm, not made in parm), a nice sharp provolone..maybe a Romano.

Would love to see more of the process too. What made the milk turn orange? :confused:

Going to post a few more.. Actually many more but it will take months after the first few days. BobbiLynn, from what I understand the yellow-orange comes from the aging process. I cheated. Used some cheese coloring. Screwed that up to. I was suppose to add it with the milk but the recipe didn't call for it. This recipe is a ballbuster from the ones I've seen on youtube but I think it's going to make some good cheese. I added it after the curd had formed and was cooking. Seems to have worked.

I'm about 2 or so hours into this and do you know what? It smells like cheddar! Kind of strong like popcorn cheese. I tasted some of the curd and it was bland though. I think this cheese it going to be great come autumn.

The last pic I posted was after the curds and whey had been separted. The next is after they sat in a colander for 15 minutes or so do drain the whey (water) and firm a bit and are now upside down on a cutting board.

cheddar-curd-flipped-upside-down-after-straining-58530.jpg

The recipe said to cut the curds into 3" strips. As usual I put to much thought into it then just cut them in to into 3" strips longitudinally. Right or wrong and transferred them back into the pot and a sinkful of 100F water. You know how hard it is to maintain a constant 100F water in a sink... well not really that hard.

cheddar-curds-cut-in-3-inch-slices-58531.jpg

I'm not quite a half hour into the two hour process of keeping the water at 100 and flipping the strips over every fifteen minutes which is in three more minutes.

Getting ahead but here is my cheese press ready for action. The white cylinder is the cheese mold. The bottles of water on right are my weights. I have to add 10lbs of weight for ten minutes, then remove the cheese flip it over and press at 40 pounds for 12 hours and then 50lbs for 24. Thanks to leverage I'll use a 20 fluid ounce bottle of water and 120 fl ounce bottle of water to get me there. For the 50 pounds I'll need a little more. Don't remember but it is about 20 oz per five pounds depending where you place the weight on the arm. I'm sure some engineer could pinpoint it.. I aint one and the timer is going off . Go to go.. Wait.. here's the pic of of her.

cheese-press-armed-and-ready-58532.jpg

Getting ahead but here is my cheese press ready for action. The white cylinder is the cheese mold. The bottles of water on right are my weights. I have to add 10lbs of weight for ten minutes, then remove the cheese flip it over and press at 40 pounds for 12 hours and then 50lbs for 24. Thanks to leverage I'll use a 20 fluid ounce bottle of water and 120 fl ounce bottle of water to get me there. For the 50 pounds I'll need a little more. Don't remember but it is about 20 oz per five pounds depending where you place the weight on the arm. I'm sure some engineer could pinpoint it.. I aint one and the timer is going off . Go to go.. Wait.. here's the pic of of her.

Here ya go

http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/levers-d_1304.html

edit: shortened quote...

Speaking of good food, watching "Moonshiners" on Discovery channel and saw an ad for a new? show... "United States of Bacon". A show all about bacon... bacon hotdogs, bacon pizza, bacon and eggs, bacon apple pie...

Speaking of good food, watching "Moonshiners" on Discovery channel and saw an ad for a new? show... "United States of Bacon". A show all about bacon... bacon hotdogs, bacon pizza, bacon and eggs, bacon apple pie...

Moonshiners is awesome! Tickle for President!

Bacon..I am still looking for the bacon vodka in the stores. That would make a hellova bloody mary.

Ahgg! Now you're going to make me have to think. I needed that.

Thanks BG :mug:

But I might not do much of that tonight.. There is beer to be drunk!

No, not tonite. Drinking a fine brew myself. Not of my own creation, tho. Enjoying a Torpedo as we speak.

Oh did you ever make the pumpkin ale with that specialty grain that tastes like pumpkin seeds?

No, not tonite. Drinking a fine brew myself. Not of my own creation, tho. Enjoying a Torpedo as we speak.

Oh did you ever make the pumpkin ale with that specialty grain that tastes like pumpkin seeds?

No I didn't. But I made a Torpedo clone that was pretty dang good. I told a few friends here on HBT I"d give them a sample. That was around Christmas.. It went to fast. Going to try it again though and only bottle this time. Beer doesn't seem to disappear as quickly if I don't keg it.

Peanut butter bacon sandwich. Anyone?

D-effing-Delicious!

Damn I´m having breakfest now, I have the bacon but not the peanut butter... I´ll try that tonight, I´m off from work Monday and Tuesday so there is going to be some bottling/drinking/brewing/ mo´drinking later today... sounds like a good snack to have after drinking a six pack :D

Damn I´m having breakfest now, I have the bacon but not the peanut butter... I´ll try that tonight, I´m off from work Monday and Tuesday so there is going to be some bottling/drinking/brewing/ mo´drinking later today... sounds like a good snack to have after drinking a six pack :D

Comfort food for me. Outside of my family, can't get anybody to try it. They all think I"m nuts.

Give it a try, you won't be disappointed.

Comfort food for me. Outside of my family, can't get anybody to try it. They all think I"m nuts.

Give it a try, you won't be disappointed.

Once in a while I have a chorizo and nutella sandwich so... I think I´ll like that :D, I mean I like peanut butter and LOVE bacon why not to have them both in a sandwich then?

We had a hot wing feed at work just now. My partner used to be a chef he made two batches of wings. They handed me the small container and I grabbed four and put them on a plate and popped it in the microwave for 30 sec. They didn't tell me the batch I pulled from was over 360,000 Scoville units. The first one was very bad. The first bite had me sweating and turning red. Then the hiccups came. Turned to the fridge and no milk, no sugar either. So I had a little water and manned through it. The next two again were really bad. The fourth was a little enjoyable. Half a dozen regular heat wings and I was back to normal. My partners thought it was hilarious

Im still looking for the bacon flavored vodka and where its available in the Northeast. BLT bloody mary....oh now thats breakfast. And how about a Hawiian pizza in a glass? I'd add a sprinkle of parmesean cheese on the top of this.

Pizza Shot
Tastes just like a slice of Hawaiian style pizza.

• 1.5 parts Bakon Vodka
• 1 part tomato juice
• 1 part pinapple juice
dash of salt and oregano

Serve in a shot glass. No need to chill.

On the new bacon show, they showed a bacon bloody mary in the ad. Now that sounds like breakfast. Bacon and peanut butter? Hmmm... might try it sometime just for you, Dan. Or are you just trying to trick us into trying it?

There is a really drunk guy over in the beginners beer forum. He's pretty funny but won't be fun for him in the AM! Maybe I should go suggest to him a bacon bloody mary when he wakes up. :mug:

No tricks. Peanut butter and bacon sandwich is delicious. I don't kid when it comes to bacon and peanut butter. :mug:

BTW, not that I want to laugh and snortle at somebody making a fool of them-self drunk. That would be like the pot calling the kettle black. But just out of curiosity which thread BL?

Im still looking for the bacon flavored vodka and where its available in the Northeast. BLT bloody mary....oh now thats breakfast. And how about a Hawiian pizza in a glass? I'd add a sprinkle of parmesean cheese on the top of this.

Pizza Shot
Tastes just like a slice of Hawaiian style pizza.

• 1.5 parts Bakon Vodka
• 1 part tomato juice
• 1 part pinapple juice
dash of salt and oregano

Serve in a shot glass. No need to chill.

Now you got me googling bakon vodka. I would drink that, love hawaiian style pizza. Papa Joe's makes the best ham/pineapple pizza I've had. Getting hungry....

No tricks. Peanut butter and bacon sandwich is delicious. I don't kid when it comes to bacon and peanut butter. :mug:

BTW, not that I want to laugh and snortle at somebody making a fool of them-self drunk. That would be like the pot calling the kettle black. But just out of curiosity which thread BL?

It's just called "drunk" in the beginners forum. Apparently he cheated on his wife with a man then lost his truck and house. Now enjoying a barley wine. Oh, and peed his pants.

I need calories so maybe will try the bacon and peanut butter. I use peanut butter to keep weight on and couple that with bacon... might get some meat on my bones!

He seems deceptive. Like he's fishing for a fight. I smell a piss soaked rat

Troll was my first thought. Where's Revvy, the HBT's historian. He'd point out the epic Drunken Ramble.. many have tried, few succeed.

Something about a couch and front porch.

Dan said:
Why's that?

Just dealing with the over entitlement one finds in this environment. All of the stereotypes you hear are for the most part true. Some are even worse than what you hear.

Troll was my first thought. Where's Revvy, the HBT's historian. He'd point out the epic Drunken Ramble.. many have tried, few succeed.

Something about a couch and front porch.

Where is Revvy? I haven't seen posts from him since I came back? And where did Yooper's dominatrix avie go?

Just dealing with the over entitlement one finds in this environment. All of the stereotypes you hear are for the most part true. Some are even worse than what you hear.

I have to ask, what do you do, and with what kind of population? The over pampered rich, or the dependent system addicted? Either way, I guess it doesn't matter.

Latest posts

Back