Brew day disaster

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alemonkey

Reaction score
Today was the first time I've brewed since September of last year, if I remember correctly. Tried to make a wheat beer, which I've done numerous times. I use unmalted wheat, and cook it before mashing with the 2-row. Efficiency sucks, but I like the taste.

I somehow managed to burn the wheat to the bottom of the pot....no more wheat beer. Luckily I had enough extra grain & hops to salvage the day and make a pale. I guess the fact that I hit my OG dead on was some consolation.

And I wasn't even drinking :drunk:

And I wasn't even drinking :drunk:

Well, I think we've found the problem!

:D
Seriously, I never drink when I brew. Well, I did once. But, it's not a good thing for me to be half in the bag and dealing with boiling pots. It sounds like your wheat beer didn't happen, but you got a good beer out of it anyway!

Whenever I do drink and brew at the same time bad things happen. Like the time I forgot to pitch the yeast.

I usually don't pull one until the sparge or the boil. Even then it's only one or two before the worts in the pail. It's not because I'm worried about buggering things up, but rather that I tend to start around 11:00 AM. By the time I'm boiling, it's happy hour.

I think the important thing to realize is to RDWHAHB. When brewing I believe it is always a good idea to have a beer or two just to help you relax. I never try to get hammered because I am trying to make something that I can be proud of and don't want to screw it up or worse burn myself.

Back