The Home Made Pizza Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do you cook on a stone? I would try parchment, but Im too worried about it burning when I toss it on the 500 degree stone

I bake with parchment on stone (@550) when i do my thin crust pizza since I roll it out to 14x18". It's too big for my peel and i have to deliver it to the stone with my largest cutting board.

The trick is to pull the parchment out after the crust just sets, usually about 90 seconds. I lift it up with a metal spatula, and pull the paper with a pair of tongs. The edges will brown a little but the area under the dough will still be snow white.

Another good use for parchment is for staging doughs if you don't have enough peels and plan to make several pies.

Only thing i don't like about using parchment is the texture of the bottom of the crust. It tends to be very smooth. Not a deal killer though.

Good stuff, guys! I happen to have access to a fair amount of stainless sheet, so I might cut/bend my own peel to save a few bucks. I do like the idea of two different peels for handling. I have a pizza stone as well, but was hesitant to try cooking on top of it. I might do it and see how I like it.

Normally I prefer a thicker, breadier crust, but I think for grilling, the thin crust would be great. Might need a stone to cook thin crust on the grill.

So many options to try!

A headbanger sighting. Hot damn what a day. Couple other original masters I admire. Anywho, word to the wise, all fats aren't created equal. Tried substituting clarified butter for oil. Made for a snapless crust (thinking high smoke point). Tasted good tho, and I tried my best at replicating italarican's double oven method. Thanks for the lesson. Can't wait to try out with my go to recipe... If I have one. Cheese and garlic today, because I love cheese and garlic, and because it's kobe's final game and I'm trying to finish early and pay my respects.

View attachment 1460599113970.jpg

Seems like they could have added a stick to the part you grab and pull/push to keep your hand away from the heat.

Kind of pricey, too. They need to get this thing built in China!

True, I probably would not have bought one myself otherwise but it does work as advertised.

tonight pies... getting the hang of that blackstone oven...! from peel to cooked in about 70 secs!

2016-04-14 18.23.01.jpg

2016-04-14 18.24.42.jpg

2016-04-14 18.32.03.jpg

Big fail on pizza on the grill this weekend. I think the biggest problem was not paying attention. I tried a stone on the grill for the first time and I went out to slide the pizza on it and it had a lot of black, gooey, burnt crap on it. I scraped it off and put the pizza down, but then the pizza burnt. I should have been more careful, but it seemed to cook way faster than before.

Also tossed another pizza on the grates next to it and that one was salvagable (That side of the grill is not as hot). About half of that pizza was edible.

After they both cooked I noticed the grill was not turned down. D'ough! Two lovely pizzas ruined for not paying attention.

Put the stone on top of 3 or 4 empty soup cans. It gets it a little out of the direct heat while putting the top of the pie up in the heat of the lid. But you have to not open the lid unless necessary. (Only for turning or removing) I try to only open it once before removing.

Edited to Add: I suggested this earlier in the thread, but included pictures in that response. Post #1780

Thanks for that. Sopressata, honey and basil pizza for me tonight. Was excellent. Too good to share so the kids made their own with kransky and chorizo.

Glad it went well! I love that combo.

Tonight's was a NY style with pesto drizzled on top. I love the flavor but forgot to make it a thicker, dryer pesto. A delicious but very oily pizza!

IMG_7052b.jpg

IMG_7056b.jpg

IMG_7059b.jpg

IMG_7064.jpg

IMG_7061.jpg

Do you cook on a stone? I would try parchment, but Im too worried about it burning when I toss it on the 500 degree stone

We make our own pizza every Friday night. I have a 'Fibrament' baking stone in the oven that works great. Here is a link for it: https://bakingstone.com/shop/home_oven/

I build the pizza on top of the parchment on the wooden peel, slide the pizza and parchment onto the 500 deg. stone, after about 3-4 minutes I lift up the edge of the pizza with the peel and pull out the parchment and get fantastic results.

Friday Night Pizza.jpg

We make our own pizza every Friday night. I have a 'Fibrament' baking stone in the oven that works great. Here is a link for it: https://bakingstone.com/shop/home_oven/

I build the pizza on top of the parchment on the wooden peel, slide the pizza and parchment onto the 500 deg. stone, after about 3-4 minutes I lift up the edge of the pizza with the peel and pull out the parchment and get fantastic results.

View attachment 351086

I'm trying that process next time.

I wonder if you could fold the parchment under itself and put the pizza on it, then after it gets slid onto the stone you can pull the bottom flap of parchment paper out form under itself...

I wonder if you could fold the parchment under itself and put the pizza on it, then after it gets slid onto the stone you can pull the bottom flap of parchment paper out form under itself...

Thats using your brain man! Im trying that on my next pie fo sho :rockin:

I find using flour and blowing underneath the pizza loosens it up enough to slide off the peel. Give it a few shakes to make sure it's good and not sticking and slide it in there. I'm also cheap and parchment paper is expensive :)

We make pizza most Friday's and also build the pie on parchment paper and then cut it fairly close to the edges of the crust but not perfectly except one corner we leave longer to be able to grab. We leave the parchment paper between the stone and the pie for the entire cooking time and the parchment only changes to a brown and the pie is perfectly crisp

I find using flour and blowing underneath the pizza loosens it up enough to slide off the peel. Give it a few shakes to make sure it's good and not sticking and slide it in there. I'm also cheap and parchment paper is expensive :)

Yes, because everyone wants you to blow in their food before they eat it. Give it a lick, too.

I'm half joking. Half serious. Don't blow on food.

Yes, because everyone wants you to blow in their food before they eat it. Give it a lick, too.

I'm half joking. Half serious. Don't blow on food.

Wait... So we're not supposed to be licking other peoples food? How will we know if it tastes good?! :mug:

I just open my dough on the work surface, little bit of semolina flour on the peel, build the pie on the peel, a lil shake and on the stone, no issue with sticking... I'm using a wooden peel for launch tho...

I added some whole wheat flour, about 13% or half a cup. Worked really well. Also tried bulk fermenting for the first time in a while. Keep having trouble with weak spots at the seam when I ball, then ferment. Anyone else have that trouble. The bulk ferment worked but I'd rather have a better understanding of the flaw in my technique...

View attachment 1461291821118.jpg

Big fail on pizza on the grill this weekend. I think the biggest problem was not paying attention. I tried a stone on the grill for the first time and I went out to slide the pizza on it and it had a lot of black, gooey, burnt crap on it. I scraped it off and put the pizza down, but then the pizza burnt. I should have been more careful, but it seemed to cook way faster than before.

Also tossed another pizza on the grates next to it and that one was salvagable (That side of the grill is not as hot). About half of that pizza was edible.

After they both cooked I noticed the grill was not turned down. D'ough! Two lovely pizzas ruined for not paying attention.

My grill is coal, and I broke a stone due to the heat. Since then, I've had pretty good luck with just using perforated pizza pans.

img_03185-47891.jpg

My grill is coal, and I broke a stone due to the heat. Since then, I've had pretty good luck with just using perforated pizza pans.

img_03185-47891.jpg

Went shopping last night and I was checkign out some grill accessories my wife asked if a stone was the right cooking surface. Heck if I know!

I told her it was probably fine if I kept a better eye on temp and time.

There was a $20 Cast Iron cooker at Walmart that looked about the right size. I'm tempted to switch up to that.

Our best luck so far has been right on the grates, except for handling the uncooked dough. Probably get a chance to work on the process again this weekend.

I prefer pizza i dont have to make. Grilled pizza has become a staple for us when we camp. I have the baking steel heat it up at 550 for 30 to 90 minutes and throw pizzas on it. Frozen store bought , homemade, white, pesto, olive oil only, red, usually throw whatever is in the fridge on them lots of cheddar and all beef hot dogs. In summer when garden is in bloom fresh veg and basil. Wife likes spinach basil white pizzas. Probably won't ever earn best pizza maker title but hope to earn makes the most.
For grilled pizza try gently baking dough just a little flip then top

Folded Parchement trial was partial success. First one was rolled too thin and wide. It was a mess getting it on and off the stone. Second one was a more realistic size and handled just fine.

I do think I need to go hotter than I had it. Crust was "ok", but I'm still tweaking it.

I might take the Cast Iron stovetop griddle from our stove and try it in the grill and see how it does. If I like it I might spring for the round cast iron cooker at Walmart.

Folded Parchement trial was partial success. First one was rolled too thin and wide. It was a mess getting it on and off the stone. Second one was a more realistic size and handled just fine.

I do think I need to go hotter than I had it. Crust was "ok", but I'm still tweaking it.

I might take the Cast Iron stovetop griddle from our stove and try it in the grill and see how it does. If I like it I might spring for the round cast iron cooker at Walmart.

Just find a metal fab shop and ask them to cut you a piece of 3/8" steel plate.

Latest posts

Back