mini keg option

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

raf1919

Reaction score
I would like to a small keg option something like 2gal. money is not an issue but space is. i live in condo so no room for the large kegs for now.

i searched net found "tap a draft" and "party pig" anyone have any feedback on these?

I've had limited experience with Tap-A-Draft, and I like it. Probably not as good as a full kegging setup. But the TAD system generally gets good rap.

I've heard lots of complaints with the pig, don't know about the tad. no room for a mini-fridge tucked away in a corner somewhere?

2.5 gallon ball lock kegs are available online at chicompany.net. I have never ordered from them and don't have a review of the item, but it looks like it would work just like a regular keg, only smaller.

i have done the 1.25 gal setup with a small co2 canister. sort of like the heinie's mini keg. worked well but could keep them charged with co2 (think my tap had a leak) i think they are called PhilTap system. pretty good and don't take up alot of space. i kept mine in the fridge.

I have used Miller/Coors homedraft "kegs" extensively and like them though they are a little smaller than you are asking about. They run off of 16g CO2 cartridges that are sold for bike tire inflaters. I naturally carb then use the cartridge for dispensing. You can use one cartridge for force carbing and one for dispensing, but, at least with the cartridges I've used, I think the beer tastes better naturally carbed.

I have used Miller/Coors homedraft "kegs" extensively and like them though they are a little smaller than you are asking about. They run off of 16g CO2 cartridges that are sold for bike tire inflaters. I naturally carb then use the cartridge for dispensing. You can use one cartridge for force carbing and one for dispensing, but, at least with the cartridges I've used, I think the beer tastes better naturally carbed.

that is great idea. i think i will do that. so you can force carb w/ this setup too?

if i wanted to naturally carb how would i cap it?

that is great idea. i think i will do that. so you can force carb w/ this setup too?

if i wanted to naturally carb how would i cap it?

Just cap it with the tap locked to off. A tap comes with each unit so there is no need or another cap as with the tap a draft.

Yeah you can force carb. I only do it in emergency situations since I don't think it tastes quite as good and it costs $$. But you can just chill screw in a cartridge and rock for 15-20 min. Change out cartridges throw in the fridge and drink.

I've been wanting to switch to kegging for a while, but the problem is I don't have a dedicated fridge and share mine with a roommate. My big concern is taking up too much space height wise(having to take the top shelf off or something). I've been considering buying two 3 gallon cornys. Does anyone have one of these 3 gallon kegs in a normal sized fridge? I've looked at the measurements, but I'm just trying to figure out how much room I would be taking up.

Edit- The 3 gallon ones seem way more expensive than getting a used 5 gallon setup. scratch that idea.

I have a party pig I use from time to time. I haven't quite figured out the magic ratio of priming sugar to use without having overly carbonated beer, but as other people said sometimes it's nice to just have half a glass instead of an entire bottle.

i just got my miller light keg.. now i'm chugging beers and trying to convince my wife i dont have a drinking problem. its all in the name of science.

would the tap from this miller light keg be compatible with the TAD bottles? seem like same size.

Also if i condition in the miller/coors keg, since the tap has regulator valve do i not need to worry about over primary and exploding?

I just prime the whole batch like it was going in bottles (usually i fill 2 home draft kegs then bottle the rest). I did have one batch that I over primed due to a boil over and confidence that I could eyeball the loss. After a few days the kegs were rock hard and I had to loosen the taps and bleed out some carbonation. It was still easier that uncapping gushing and recapping the rest that I bottled.

Long story short, I would worry about over priming and exploding.

I just prime the whole batch like it was going in bottles (usually i fill 2 home draft kegs then bottle the rest). I did have one batch that I over primed due to a boil over and confidence that I could eyeball the loss. After a few days the kegs were rock hard and I had to loosen the taps and bleed out some carbonation. It was still easier that uncapping gushing and recapping the rest that I bottled.

Long story short, I would worry about over priming and exploding.

so the draft keg held up, doesn't the regular relieve pressure if it gets to much.

Back